Monday, October 03, 2005

Hell and cheap roses.

I was driving around over the weekend, when I witnessed a VERY odd sight indeed.

There's a company that sells inexpensive roses (a dozen for $4.99!) in Vancouver.
They advertise by having a person stand on a street corner holding a large sign up with their particular company details.

Over the years they've had more than their share of 'odd' characters holding their sign for them on that corner.

There was the ancient, toothless, chinese woman who was barely able to suppport herself upright with a cane, let alone hold the large sign and point to the store up the hill.

Then, there was the curly blond haired young man, who always rolled his cotton shorts WAY up on his plump thighs, and tied his shirt up into a 'roll twist' to afford as MUCH of his pale, lumpy skin a chance at the sun.
He was sort of entertaining in his own way...bouncing around, gesticulating wildly and yelling at stopped cars to buy the cheap roses.

But this new fellow?
He has come from out of my nightmares and now sells roses on the corner of Main and Marine.

I'm sure he's the Grim Reapers nearest cousin in human form.

Wearing black baggy jeans, a huge black hooded sweatshirt that he wears hood up.
It resembles nothing short of a cowl shadowing his gaunt face.
Large black Uni-Bomberesque sunglasses and 4 days worth of facial hair completes the alarming look.
He stands motionless, one hand grasping the 'Roses $4.99' sign, the other arm pointing up that hill to the store.

I'm pretty sure I'll never go to that shop.

Ever.

He's looks as if he's pointing to a place where one would go, if one were interested in having their throat slit.

I suspect he'd be much better off, standing at a dark crossroads, his pale pointy finger ushering you forward to the gates of hell. *









* And most disturbing of all, toward the cheap roses.

4 comments:

Tai said...

Uh, definately not a goth.
Burnt out old drug addict maybe, but not a goth.

There IS a difference.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tai,

So what you’re saying is the road to hell is lined with cheap roses, is that it?

The sandwich board guy, you think he’s Charon’s cousin, pointing out the sights along the River Styx? Or just a signpost to Death’s gate?

Personally I think the chubby guy with the roll-up twist tee is scarier, especially with rolled up shorts too. The only thing I need to complete the image (and give me the stuff of my next couple nightmares) is to know this guy couldn’t/didn’t tan… and he remained a virulent white all summer. Rolls of heaving, lurid white flesh jumping up and down, like maggots on a roller coaster.

Charon’s cousin is beginning to look benign to me now. How are you doing, by the way, Tai?

Tai said...

My friend kris wrote:

"I remember that freaky dude at main & marine!!! His shorts rolled up to an almost speedo point.
Oh my god!!! I have made EYE CONTACT with that guy!
Naturally, I would point and laugh. I remember him slowly lulling back and forth."

Yes Kris...that's him.
I'm glad you saw him too, otherwise I might start to wonder if I was hallucinating him.
Which might have been preferable!

BLACKCRAG!

I'm doing just ducky (can't you tell from my blog!?) Life's just about as weird as I can possibly manage!

How are you?
Long time no hear! I know you read Spider Girls blog, I'm glad you've ventured over to mine, too!

Anonymous said...

Creepy t-shirt guy used to clap his hands to some wierd beat he had looping in his mushy brain. Then he would point at random cars and point them up the hill. I did at one point consider inquiring as to how much the job paid.