Wednesday, October 05, 2005

If I can do it, any old monkey can!



Chimp finally quits smoking *

A chimp at a zoo in China has finally managed to kick smoking after 16 years.
(she must have taken the literature seriously!)

Former chain-smoker Ai Ai quit within four weeks by cutting down step by step.

Keepers at Qinling Safari Park, in Shaanxi Province, decided to help the chimp quit after her health began deteriorating.

The methods tried by handlers to divert the 27-year-old chimp's attention from cigarettes included a walk after breakfast, music sessions after lunch and gym after dinner, reports Xinhua.

One zoo keeper said: "She's served fried dishes and dumplings at every meal, alongside her usual diet of milk, banana and rice.
('Cus those post-smoking pounds can really kill a girls figure...)

"I also put earphones on her so that she could enjoy some pop music from my Walkman.

"In the first few days, she squealed for cigarettes every now and then, but as her life became more colourful, she gradually forgot about them altogether."

Ai Ai started smoking cigarettes given to her by visitors shortly after her first male companion died in 1989.
(Smokes...the perfect substitute to lifelong companionship!)






*ME? I've been quit for 1 year and 4 months (give or take a few days.)
YAY ME!!!

5 comments:

Tai said...

You'll be JUST fine Bill...in fact, you'll definately be MUCH better off!
Smoking was a horrible monkey on my back.
(ba dum)

Anonymous said...

GROAN.... (and yay, you!)

blackcrag said...

Hey, I didn't know you smoked in the first place. But yay you for quitting.

One thing about dropping out of sight for so long... you don't know what's going on in another person's life.

Bill, you are smart for never starting smoking... smoking alters the way you look. Take Pinnochio for one. Smoking made an ass of him.

And the monkey! That’s not really a monkey, that is really a sweet Chinese grandmother. She's been smoking since the Chinese Revolution. I know, she used to be a neighbour of mine.

When smoking turned her into a monkey, they came and took her away. She still writes me from time to time, but she isn't much of a conversationalist. Talks about bananas and monkey's butts all the time. Funnily enough, she did much the same when she lived next door to me too.

Spider Girl said...

Tai, I'm just ever so proud of you!I'm happy every time I visit and you don't light up.

That's interesting that even monkeys liked it enough to get hooked.

I couldn't smoke even if it was good for me...just too yechy. But as it is, I'd die choking horribly if I tried...

Pol* said...

I too am proud of you! I am just too cheap to even try to make it a habit.... along with alcohol, and eating out at restraunts -- all too often end up as disapointing evenings in this town..... ans that's why I go out with YOU! And Eat and drink! (but not smoke, oh no, I draw the line there)