Friday, September 23, 2005

Sometimes I'd like to turn my brain off.

I was having dinner with a friend last night, when the most vile thought came crashing into my skull.

My mom, (whom I love love LOVE!) has been having some ear troubles lately.
Now, she's a healthy 55 year old women, who has never smoked or drank. She walks everyday is generally very healthy.
However, her inner-ear has been plaguing her as of late, leaving her dizzy (because we all know it affects your equilibrium), nauseaus and feeling generally crappy.
At my insistance, and after almost two months of ill ease, she's going to go in for a CT scan to see what the problem is.
(She's one of those kinds of people that has a tendency to think that if one doctor says it'll go away, it'll go away...one does not question the doctor.)

So, I was talking about her doing this when suddenly, horribly, the thought that it might be something more than just a simple blockage or minor infection came whip-cracking across my thought pattern.
What if it's a tumour?
What if it's cancer?
What if it's one of those occasions where an initially innocent problem bloats and explodes into the worst possible scenario.

I know what if.
If THAT'S the case, I'd move back to Courtenay instantly. There would be no way I wouldn't be by her side.

4 comments:

Spider Girl said...

It may be a little calcium deposit built up in her ear. That happened to me once, causing a most unpleasant sensation of vertigo that lasted several weeks on and off. It has since happened to two other people I know, both women. Hopefully it's that, because then it goes away all on its own.

Your mommy is the dearest creature I know (aside from my own mommy) and I hope she's just fine.

But you can move back here for a different reason if you like....me! :)

Pol* said...

I had an inner ear thing for a full 6 months! It was just a weird thing... vertigo, a general feeling of not being all there (don't laugh I am NOT always like that!) and quite frankly feeling slightly, every so slightly tipsy 24/7 and the worst of it was falling asleep literally felt like FALLING to sleep.

Anonymous said...

A few years ago, Shawn and I both got a viral infection in our inner ears. It didn't last as long as 6 months (oh, gawd, that would be AWFUL) but all we could do was let it run its course, and then we were fine again (except for the dent in the bumper of our car, as a result of trying to drive with an inner ear infection, but that's a WHOLE other story...).

I hope it's nothing more dire than a calcium deposit or a viral infection, and chances are, it will probably be easily remedied and of no long-term consiquence. It's silly to say "Don't worry" because, well.... it's your mommy! But I have high high hopes that everything will be a-okay.

Tai said...

You're all very dear.
Thanks for the kind words.

(A calcium deposit...I didn't even think of that!)