Monday, July 11, 2005

Oh, to travel again.

My travel bug is starving and complaining bitterly.
It's partially my fault, I've been reading travel memoirs about France and Italy, feeding the bug even more, but not enough to satisfy it.
I really can not WAIT to go back to Europe.
My first few trips were so fabulous and exciting...I want to go back with more understanding and more language and more specific quests.

In France I want to spend more time in the small, small towns, investigating every nook and cranny.
In Italy I want to spend more time eating, and enjoying the foods each area has to offer...you know, Parmesan from Parma, roma tomatoes from Rome...you get the drift, right?
Oh, to go again and be able to speak a little more of the languages...to know more about the wines...

The first time I went, it was with Vanne to the British Isles.
She had everything very nicley organized.
I didn't have to worry 'bout anything except for sleeping, and believe me, I worried about that A LOT!
The second time I went, it was on a whim...on a lark and all by myself!
I knew general things about France and Italy, and muddled through happily, but I know now that I missed a lot of things due to sheer ignorance (you realize, of course, I'm using that word in it's grammatically correct form, and not calling my self a stupid head, right?)

With luck (and some of Vannes' planning), I will be returning to my beloved Italia in a few years with my best friends, and what a joy that will be!
Traveling alone was great, and I'd do it again in a heart beat, but I'm really looking forward to being with my best friends to enjoy it.
As I've been to Rome before, it'll be a delight to watch 'Pol and Nisha's faces experiencing all those things for the first time.
And whatever Italian I fail to learn, I trust 'Vanne to pick up the slack!
You will, right?
uh...per favore?
Si?

I mean, lets consider for a moment shall we?
The only thing I can be trusted to say reliably in Italian is,"Vorrei dieci commemorativi francobolli, per favore."
And frankly, the thought of me running around Italy shouting at the natives, "I would like 10 commemortive stamps, please!" is distrubing.
First of all, it's a flat out lie, and secondly, it just doesn't get me any delicious food and wine, now does it?

Sono pazza, non?

No comments: