Friday, May 27, 2005

All hell broke loose this morning.

As I was going about my morning ablutions, I heard a terrible commotion outside in the alley.
I peered outside into the beautiful bright morning only to see a cluster of Starlings making a loud fuss about SOMETHING behind a fence.
If you've never heard Starlings, you'd be surprised at the amount of sounds they can make, not to mention the ear shattering volume they can achieve.
From a 'CHCHCHCHCH' sound of angry squirrels, to the harsh 'SKREE SKREE' of fierce blue jays, they have plethora of loud noises they can choose from.
It really is amazing.
BUT that amazment can quickly turn to sheer blinding rage when you're trying to sleep and a contingency of them are screaming away outside your window at 5:30 am.
Fortunately, this was not one of those occasions, so I was more puzzled than pissed.

I thought that perhaps a cat had caught one and was the focus of the collective rage, but upon going outside, all it turned out to be was a crow standing around minding his own business.
He didn't appear to be doing anything but be standing about, but the Starlings had worked themselves into a right tizzy.
They were yelling and hollering and dive bombing him and generally waging all out war.
And he just continued to stand there, ignoring the whole brouhaha he was causing.
I wonder about birds sometimes.
So.
That's it then.
Have a great weekend, and I hope that no masses of wailing birds wake you early in the morning.

No comments: