Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Divinity in marble.

A few years ago I was extremely fortunate to be able to wander around Europe for a few months on my own.
One of the places I visited (and highly recommend the next time you're in Rome) was the Galleria Borghese.

I had read that it housed some of Bernini's * sculptures and I was very interested to visit the gallery.
What I had failed to completely understand however, was that when you went to visit, you had to visit at very specific hours.

The gallery only allowed 360 people in, once every 2 hours for ONLY 2 hours at a time (with a mandatory exit at the end of time slot).

Well! I didn't read the small print so when I arrived I thought that the 2 hour count down started when I entered the building.
Not so!
After 45 minutes everyone in the gallery (including uninformed me) was rather unceremoniously ushered out of the building.
I hadn't even had time but to run past the statues I had so longed to see on my way out the door; I was so disappointed!

I wandered morosely around the gift shop, finally settling on some magnets with photos of the statues in lieu of actually seeing them.
The gift shop clerk asked me how I had enjoyed my visit and I explained sadly that I had missed the very things that I had come to see.

"Well-a, we will-a see-a what we canna do for you." He smiled, suggesting I go buy a coffee while he finished up his duties.
Abandoning his post a few minutes later, he joined me for a coffee and quizzed me on my life, Canada, and what a lovely young girl such as myself was doing all alone in Italy, "The country of love-a."

We talked a while, until he suggested for me to follow him.
Not being one to worry about common sense or the wisdom of following strange men in foreign countries, I trailed behind him as we left the building and went around to the back of the gallery
There, a guard stood waiting at a back door.
My shop keeper (I had already taken to considering him in the possessive) said a few words to the guard who smiled, laughed and nodded, holding the door wide open for me.

I turned back, "Grazie, molte grazie!" I called to him as he walked away.
"A beeyooteeful woman-a, she must-a always get her-a weesh!" He grinned at me, turning back for a moment.
The guard chuckled and beckoned me in.

And so.
I was back in, with all the time in the world to re-explore the most amazing collection of art in a sumptuous and intimate setting.
All the art was truly inspiring, but it was the statues that held me.

Rape of Persephone















Apollo and Daphne
Bernini's sensual awareness of the surface textures of skin and hair made these statues truly come alive for me.
In the 'Rape of Persephone' (1621 or 1622 AD), you can see Pluto's fingers biting into the tender flesh of Persephone's thigh leaving cruel indentations as she struggles to escape.

The 'Apollo and Daphne' shows Daphne's slim toes turn to roots; her slender fingers give way to laurel stems and leaves in her bid to evade the dogged Apollo.
It's not discernable in this photo, but here too, Bernini captures Apollo's fingers digging into Daphne's belly in an attempt to restrain her; to stop the metamorphasis.

I was loath to leave that gallery
Blissful days could have been spent amongst its treasures.
But, I am again fortunate.
Next year I shall be returning to Rome, and I will most certainly revisit that divine space.







*More about Bernini and his work here.

22 comments:

Zambo said...

Hey Tai.

That's a cool story. I'm glad you got to go back in...I've always liked Bernini's work too. (I assume you've read Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons"...if not, Bernini's work is prominently featured...to aid the outrageous story line...it was entertaining anyway)...

I hope you're doing well.

Take care out there!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Very nice story, don't you love it when things work out! What a gem, "your" shopkeeper. :-)

Wendy C. said...

What a neat experience. Thank you for sharing. It brought me back (in my mind) to the Victoria and Albert museum in London...the statue of David...ahhh. Good times.

Heather said...

Beautiful Images - thanks for sharing them!

Valkyrie said...

Regarding the Rape of Persephone. (Which I have mixed feelings about, I'll admit. But then, I'm overly sensitive.) I like the artistry of it, but I am iffy about the ...well, you probably know.

Could you imagine the uproar if someone made that statue in these PC times?

Skay said...

What a great story! That's how I aim to do travel.

JM said...

Cool story. I was sort of dreading the end. I thought it was going to end with something bad. But I'm glad it didn't.

Mz.Elle said...

What a nice memory:)

Tim Rice said...

That's a neat story. Sometimes special kindnesses will happen.

Josh said...

That is the beginning of a romantic story where you two have a week long passionate fling. Great post.

Jay Noel said...

Wow...you were lucky. You had the place to yourself!

The statues are amazing...

nicki said...

great, great post Tai :) You've always got such great things to read around here :)

fjl said...

It seems we have a passion in common x
some interesting observations. The timeables in Rome are a researcher's hell I agree.

Ian Lidster said...

Tai, you are such a class act! Intelligent, witty, beautiful, and such a fine spinner of tales whimsical and serious. You dazzle. Was it Bernini or Michelangelo who believed that the soul of the piece of sculpture was already there, and the artist's task was to merely uncover it? Anyway, my first glimpse of 'David' at the Uffizi has carried me through many years. Please continue to charm and enlighten.
Your friend
Ian

Tai said...

Ian, I do believe it was the also extememly impressive Michelangelo who declared that the marble already housed the statue; it was merely his job to release it.

(oh, and thank you...I think my head just swelled a hat size or two!)

Mathieu said...

Good for you :)

K. said...

My experience in Italy is that the natives are very kind, as well. Exceptional art entrances me. You write about it so beautifully - how did I miss this place during my visit to Rome?!

:P fuzzbox said...

Excellant story. I am glad to see that you were able to get your wish. Feminine wiles are vastly underrated.

Spider Girl said...

Ah, Tai, only 14 months and-a we're-a gonna be-a back-a inna Roma!

I loved seeing Bernini's work too, but I have a feeling seeing his work with you standing beside me is going to make me appreciate the art all the more.

Phil said...

You are so lucky. I love seeing great works of art up close. Somehow I doubt that the Italian shopkeeper would have taken such an interest in me.

CrackerLilo said...

I'm so glad you got in.

And thank you for expanding my education a tiny bit! :-)

Crystal said...

Oh golly, I want to go to this musuem so bad now after reading your descriptions! Italy, what a beautiful country, and I only wish my time there had not been so brief. These sculptures look divine!