Sunday, March 19, 2006

Slainte!

Looks like I missed wishing everyone a Happy St. Paddy's Day. Always a day late and a dollar short!
To make up for my faux pas, I tell you about my favorite Irish Castle.
Fair enough?


In 1999, Spider and I decided to embark on our first trip overseas.
As neither of us had set foot much further than Disneyland, we were understandably exhilarated.

Spider was always more adept at 'planning' than I, so she took charge of the itinerary.
First stop, London.
From there we jumped on a direct train to Edinburgh...a few nights there, including an 'under the city' ghost tour and then off to Glasgow.
A mere day in Glasgow, on to a speedy trip south through Carlisle and Chepstow, over to Holyhead in Wales and THEN!

Ireland.

We had spent so much time in castles through out England and Scotland that by this time the trip was in danger on turning into an ABC trip; you know, 'Another Bloody Castle' tour.

But there was one castle I hadn't counted on...Blarney Castle.



Yes, I know...a complete and unmitigated tourist trap if there ever was one!
But I managed to find something really magical there.

We climbed around the base of the castle first, exploring the damp caves under the castle and pitch black hidey-holes with slick stairs leading nowhere.
And then up we went.

Up circuitous narrow stairways where only the goat-footed could go, and the elderly tourists in high heels feared to tread!

On to the RAMPARTS!

The view was commanding from there; golden green swaths of field cut by low gray stone fences and lush trees.


We wandered all over that castle...free to climb where ever we chose; nary a velvet rope in sight.

Then back down to the surrounding grounds, well kept and vastly amusing.

Little signs showed how to get to the 'Witches Kitchen', and where the 'Fairy Glen' was.
The 'Wishing Steps' were fun, down them forward first, the back up to the top you went (backwards!) repeating your wish as you went.

I even found a fine tree to climb, but alas, we were not digitally set up back then...so I have no pictures to share.
(But I'm pretty sure you believe I ended up in a tree, right!?)

I adored all of Ireland...did I mention that I had my first Guinness there?
(I also had my second, third, fourth...!)

There's no doubt in my mind that I'll go to Ireland again.
There was just too much happiness there and not enough time to explore it all.

(Oh, and the old guy dancing a jig in the pub? That was very cool. Did I mention the Dingle Peninsula? Breathtaking! Grab a bike and go for a ride! Cork was lovely too. Did I mention all the sheep?)

16 comments:

Josh said...

You guys are so lucky. That sounds like such a neat trip. I would love to make it over there one day too.

Spider Girl said...

Oh, that was such a lovely trip!

We need to go back there! Drink some more Guinness! ;)

sttropezbutler said...

Having a touch of the Irish in me...and never having been there makes me wonder if I'm sane!

This post makes me want to go!

STB

Ian Lidster said...

Oh -- you took me back, dear Tai. Easter week of 1981 and no, I did not kiss the Blarney Stone. I was walking towards the castle and an elderly retired female academic from Paris, with whom I was chatting suggested I did not need to kiss the stone, as I had enough blarney already. I didn't know whether to take it as a compliment or an insult. But, I did learn on that trip that I could have spent the rest of my days in Killarney. You brought it all back home, my dear.

David Amulet said...

Sounds like one hell of a trip. Did you try road bowling, the great community sport of rural Ireland?

-- david

Pol* said...

i'd never been nowhere... i'ze an island hick to da core! BUT I do intend to change that!

kimber said...

Killarney! Oh, I miss it! I can't wait to go back, but until then, I suppose another pint of Guinness will have to suffice! :)

tsduff said...

I didn't get to Blarney Castle when I was in Ireland several years ago, but what I did see was lovely. Loved your story and beautiful pictures :-)

:P fuzzbox said...

It sounds like a beautiful trip. I have always wanted to go. Maybe one day.

Zambo said...

Sounds like a great trip!

It seems like a lovely place to visit.

Maybe one day...

Your Pal,

Zambo.

blackcrag said...

Ireland.. one of my top three destinations. Also the only part of the UK I've yet to set foot on--or any other part of my body for that matter.

I know what you mean about the ABC trip.. all my childhood romps to the UK involved them. Except I grew up reading the King Arthur legend and loved every inch of every castle I went to.

I would run up rickety steps that were truly too small for an eight year olds feet giving my mother a heart attack as I raced around and peered over centuries old battlements... and giving my sister a heart attack as I pushed past her on the stairs that had no railing... ah, yes... I do love castles.

Crystal said...

The Green Isle...I would love to go there even more so than England! JB from The Swinging Gate just returned from a trip to England a month or so ago, and she said a lot of great things about the castles & historical places as well. Castles fascinate me and it must have been awesome to have this be your 1st trip abroad! Btw I detest those wretched staircases, and somehow they are completely unvoidable when touring old forts, castles, and lookout points in Europe. But usually it's worth making it to the top just for the pictures!

luvwannabefree25 said...

Yes.. I must go to Ireland... great post... great pics!! I hope you don't mind my stopping by...
JD

Skye said...

Oh wow, I have that picture in my castle collection.

nicki said...

GREAT pics Tai!! i want to travel more...soooo badly!!!! i would love to go there someday!!

Valkyrie said...

Take me! I long to see Ireland