Tuesday, March 14, 2006

It's all in a name.

Because I've been so slack in the blogging arena as of late, I thought I'd just write about something simple.

Like why my lil' blog is called "delusion of tai".

First of all...it was supposed to be delusionS of Tai. But yeah, I mistyped and forgot the 's' at the end of delusion.
Amusing little tidbit of blog trivia, no?

And the "Hello? Is this thing on??" That just speaks to my general computer illiteracy.

So just where did Tai come from?

It's a very long story, but it involves a book, a language my dear friends and I made up when we were young, and dash of pure whimsy.
....from my 'full' nickname Deirdrea-Tai; pronunciation DEAR dree ah TAY.

Yup, it's pronounced TAY, not TIE.

And it's stuck ever since.

In fact, I'm more likely to respond to Tai than my real name* these days, and truth be told...I much prefer it!

OH! and uh...GNOMES!

(gracious, I'm lacking inspiration these days!)










*my real name? you really want to know?
ahem.
It's Laurie.

16 comments:

fjl said...

You are a good blogger. This is another fun post. I had been wondering about the name!

Mz.Elle said...

I like both!
Tai suits you so well..I never questioned that it was not your real name,lol

E. Rivera said...

Tai in the wind, Miss Chickopee...

(Yeah, I quoted Nell, so what?)

Spider Girl said...

I'm your best friend Tai, and I am constantly forgetting your real name.

It's just so...YOU, dearie. :)

Josh said...

I never would have guessed you weren't a Tai, you look like one. It sounds pretty yet exotic. Thanks for the tid bit, very interesting, truly.

Grant said...

Now that I know your real name, you will be subject to my Voodou powers. Send me lots of money or bad things will happen. Also, bad things will happen to you if you don't forward this comment to, oh, lets say 20 other bloggers.

Fear me. >:(

OB Juan said...

I liked your name so much through our teenage years I ended up marrying one with the same name (yes same spelling too)....;)

Ian Lidster said...

I love your chosen name and thank you for the pronunciation. And I think you're a terrific blogger and am very happy we have interconnected. You're intelligent and fun, and I also knew about the 'Laurie', so I feel especially privileged.
Ian (my real name BTW)

Phil said...

As a funny coincidence, one of my nicknames used to be Tay. I'm not telling you why. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA (maniacal laughter. It's the only kind I have.)

CrackerLilo said...

I wondered about the name, too, so thanks! :-)

I've been answering to "Lilo" quite often since moving to NYC, which is weird.

K. said...

Wow, Laurie - and I thought that all this time your real name was pronounced TIE. Guess I was just wrong on all counts! ;)

Deb said...

Hey "Laurie"... I too, assumed that it was pronounced as "Tie" and not "Tay". Interesting! :)

Zambo said...

Hey Tai.

You sure do have a lot of aliases...

'Zambo' has been my nickname since 1985, (when "Rambo: First Blood Part II" came out)...It has stuck with me over the years and a lot of my pals still call me 'Zambo' and feel awkward calling me by real name...

Anyway...lunch break's just about over.

Take care out there, Tai!

Your Pal,

'Zambo'.

Isabel said...

I always wonder how people come up with their "blogger" names. Your story is a good one.

:P fuzzbox said...

I answer to my blog name nearly as much as my given name also. And thanks for clearing that pronunciation up. I got it wrong also.

nicki said...

hehehe..i thought Tai was your real name...thats funny :) for some reason you seem more like a Tai then a Laurie..if that makes sense..:)