Saturday, November 05, 2005

He's gone.

Bentley didn't make it back from the vet.

Despite the fact that I'm crushed, I have to say that he afforded me the best example of what a cat can be, and in turn, I gave him the best life I could offer.

He made me laugh, he listened to me, he moved to 4 different cities with me and always, he loved me just the same, even if I was bawling my eyes out or laughing out loud, he was always stomping about, keeping me company.

He accepted all other animals gracefully and generously, without question.
Dogs, mice and other cats...even a chinchilla once all benefited from Bentley's beatific gaze.

Bentley didn't have a mean bone in his body.

Last year, a squirrel showed up on my balconey that Bentley refused to chase away, so I wrote the ode to him you can read below.

This morning, just before I took him to the vet, a squirrel showed up again.

Bentley stalked slowly to the open balconey door as the squirrel bounced along. Bent checked behind him every few steps to make sure I was right behind him.
Finally, he got to the threshold of the inside/outside and paused there, checking over his shoulder once again for me.

The squirrel paused, stared at Bentley, then jumped away casually, no fear.
Bentley didn't even make a move to attack.

Even during Bentley's last few hours he was true to his nature.
Calm and gentle.

"A credit to cats", as my friend Danny said.
"I didn't even LIKE cats before I met Bent", another said.

It's true.

Bentley had a charm about him that I don't think will ever be duplicated, and was certainly unusual in the feline world.

He was 'Bentley', a personality, and a charming one.

I miss him so much.


Ode to my Cat

Oh, fierce terror recessed deep under the fat.

Oh, fang'd and claw'd with sharp pointy things, you stalk the apartment on semi silent paws...

The food bowl cowers and trembles at your stealthy approach, for it knows it's fate is at hand.

Yea, let the squirrel approach the balcony with no trepidation at all, for it knows that lurking inside the glass door you are there.

So, come oh squirrel, come dine on the bulbs I planted in happier times. Dine and revel.

I hasten to open the door, placing death on four legs out, out onto the balcony to revenge me!

You mew piteously, the squirrel snacks on.

I let you back in. The thief chortles and stuffs it's face.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tai, I'm so so so so sorry.

I wish I was home right now, so that I could call you and take you out for tea and give you a hug. I hope that Bentley is at peace, in a beautiful place, where the squirrels aren't so large or intimidating, and where he can relax in the sun all afternoon.

Wriju said...

Tai, I am sorry to hear that :-( I loved my pet dog dearly and I know how painful it is when they leave you.

Mel said...

I am so so sorry for your loss. Have you heard of the rainbow bridge, where I believe pets go after life to lay in the sun and wait for their people to show up. Its comforting to me. Bentley ( a great name for a cat BTW) had a wonderful fufilled life it sounds like. What a gentleman!

M. Santos said...

Beautifull words and terrible loss.
I've had to say goodbye to my pet family members over the years and dread the day my charlie goes-
hang in there.
ms

gordaboo said...

i was so hoping that he would pull thru. i am sorry. my heart goes out to you and for a very special little kitty kat.

Pol* said...

Sweet, sweet Bentley. A lump of a lump of a lump, kindly purring like a big furry outboard at any old excuse. Heavy and easy going and just plain wonderful cat! I am so happy there was no pain, I am so happy he had such a good life. He had it good and he showed his appreciation by being purrrfectly content! Good puddy tat! I'll miss his happy fuzzface.

blackcrag said...

O Tai, I am so very sorry to hear about Bentley. I never knew him, but just from the last few posts about him, I can tell how much he meant to you. 14 years, you were lucky to have such a constant companion.

You mentioned Attessa a week or so back. I hope Bentley passed his grace to her, so she can continue the companionship Bentley offered you for so long.

Anonymous said...

Sending deep sympathy in your time of lost and hoping youll find comfort and the strengh through these difficult times.