Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Blackcrag, I don't mean to boil your bottom, but...

Main Entry: ra·ti·o·ci·na·tion
Pronunciation: -"O-s&n-'A-sh&n, -"ä-
Function: noun
1 : the process of exact thinking : REASONING
2 : a reasoned train of thought


Main Entry: au·re·ate
Pronunciation: 'or-E-&t
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English aureat, from Medieval Latin aureatus decorated with gold, from Latin aureus
1 : of a golden color or brilliance
2 : marked by grandiloquent and rhetorical style


Main Entry: fab·li·au
Pronunciation: 'fa-blE-"O
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural fab·li·aux /-"O(z)/
Etymology: French, from Old French, diminutive of fable
: a short, usually comic, frankly coarse, and often cynical tale in verse popular especially in the 12th and 13th centuries

And ms. L was right about lineaments...thanks ma'am!


ahem...Merriam-Webster Online....

(oh gosh...DUCK! he's throwing things at me!!)

3 comments:

blackcrag said...

The WHAT!!?! You used which online dictionary? Well, someone needs to stand up and sing the national anthem!

Actually, I had heard of RATIOCINATION. I was guessing it was related to ‘rationalize’, but since I was only guessing, I didn’t define it. As for AUREATE, really, how often will you ever work that into a conversation? My fault for using a current English dictionary.

I still don’t think FABLIAU is a real word. It sounds like what you’d call someone undergoing massive cosmetic surgery to look like Fabio. Since no one is insane enough for that, there has never been a reason to coin it.

As for what I’m throwing at you, you can bet it isn’t a book. Definitely not sharp enough.

Wriju said...

The person who wrote the book used all those words in the first 10 pages. Wow!
Unless ofcourse he/she was glancing at the thesaurus every now and then, in which case the only words I have for him/her are 'ensanguined grandiloquent braggadocio' (read bloody big-talking braggart) ;-)

Kate said...

That is QUITE a book you are tackling! Good job! I also have never seen nor heard those words before, but hey, we learn something new everyday!!!