Friday, November 04, 2005

Friday night built for one.

I adore Fridays.

End of a long and hectic work week and the beginning of just about anything you can imagine.

This is one of my favorite ways to spend a rainy, wind blown Friday night...

First, the drive down a long dark windy road to my favorite 'comfort food' restaurant, Burgoo.

The car gets parked on the quiet little street and off I go...but wait, before I go for dinner, I need one little thing.

A new book!

I'm so lucky, there's a Book Warehouse three doors away from Burgoo.

So a brief browse, and I am now the proud owner of immense tome, "Albion: The Origins of the English Imagination", by Peter Ackroyd.

I slide in to a VERY crowded, warm Burgoo to the back of the line up.

I'm lucky though, the waitress comes over, and motions me to take a seat at the dark wood bar, ahead of everyone waiting.
They're waiting for actual tables, and not a seat at the bar, but I still feel special.

She asks me how I am, comments that she hasn't seen me for a while, and asks with a smile, "French onion soup?"

I grin, nod and take my seat, arranging my book in front of me.

Burgoo is a delightful, warm little restaurant.
The walls are creamy brown, and old travel posters of exotic locales hang on the walls.

Their specialties are soups and stews, and they do them with a grace meant for more 'refined' fares.
Delicious, decadent and always perfect.
They do comfort food to make moms the world over wonder why they didn't start their own restaurant based on their own beloved tomato soup.

Jazz plays in the background at the perfect level, I can choose to immerse myself in what is proving to be an interesting read, or listen for a while to the croonings of "Dancing Cheek to Cheek".

That's where you'll find me, on a perfect Friday night.

7 comments:

Spider Girl said...

I love Burgoo!

Let's go there next time in town, 'k? :)

Spider Girl said...

I'M in town, I should have said.

And really, anybody who lives in Vancouver should go to Burgoo. Especially on a rainy day. :)

Tai said...

Yes...you're right!
Burgoo should be a staple!

blackcrag said...

Hey! I lived there for two years, why am I only hearing of Burgoo now?

You guys never let me in on the good stuff!

Wriju said...

A pinch of jazz, a stimulating read and some yummy food!
Sounds good.

M. Santos said...

We need a place like that in my town- but we need a town first

Anonymous said...

Sounds perfectly cozy.