Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Safe and sound.

That’s a strange how do you do.

I went for my traditional 'walk about' after work the other day, to gather food for dinner and had a rather strange thing happen.
(Well, I think it was strange…)

As I crossed the road, a car had stopped in the middle of the block. I suspected he was going to parallel park and skirted out of his way.
He looked straight at me and smile-nodded.

I continued on my merry way down the street a few more blocks, and lo, there he was again, but not in his car this time.

He was standing holding a very pretty looking little Siamese cat and seemed to be inspecting it.

He held it aloft in the air, turning it this way and that and when he saw me about to walk by, rushed over to me saying, “Look at this cat I just found!”
I stopped, polite as all ways, as he continued, “Yeah, I just got out of my car and it came running up to me.”

“Perhaps it’s this cat?” I pointed at a sign posted on the lamp post about a missing Siamese without a collar.
“Hm. This one has a collar though.” He slung the cat over his shoulder.

I wondered how a cat, and a Siamese in particular, would deign to allow itself to be flipped around so casually by a random stranger.

And then he asked me, “Do you live on Selkirk? I do. I think I saw you over there.”

Uh oh. I KNEW that was coming.
My creepy man senses started tingling instantly.

Then he pulled out his phone. “So. I should call?”

I started to walk away quickly, saying, “Good luck!”

Something about him....I just can't explain.

I continued along my way, stopping at the library, at the local farmers market and at the grocery store for my dinner.

And as I walked back through my neighbourhood, there he was again!

In almost the same place, sitting in his car.

With the cat standing on the head rest of the passenger seat.

Maybe it’s just me, but I just KNOW he was up to no good.

Years ago, in my youth, I would have been tempted to stand around, be concerned about the cat and try to help him locate the poor things owner.
I can't help but suspect that's exactly what he wanted.

Now that I’m old?

I know a “please help me little girl, help me” ploy when I see one.

Not to mention the fact that I’ve seen enough A&E specials on serial killer/stalker rapists to be instantly fearful.

Which is sad, I think.

But on the other hand, I am still alive.

3 comments:

Spider Girl said...

Yes, still alive..despite the rashness of our youth. Amazing huh?

Pol* said...

ummm.... call the cops about a suspicious fellow in your neighbourhood. The only harm it would do to him IF HE IS INNOCENT is open his eyes to how not-innocent his behavoiur looks to outsiders. On the other hand, if he is a "pig farmer type psycho" using a cat as bait, then he should be watched by people trained with with guns --- the cops, not you! (Ever see "Silence of the Lambs" with that guy using the heavy chair "I need help" ploy.... or that famous good looking fellow -- his name escapes me-- that used the fake cast to get sympathy... or more recently my children have been warned about the guy in the van saying "come pet my puppies, aren't they CUTE!" to get the wee ones..... way TOO many creeps out there!)I am so glad your survival radar is louder than your sympathy radar!

Dr. Deb said...

How totally creepy.