Friday, June 10, 2005

I really don't like cilantro!

My girlfriend and I were discussing men and relationships the other night, and more specifically our general taste in men.
She was wondering how come she could really like a mans' ability to make her laugh, and think and feel generally special, but still have no interest in him.
Well, of course, there’s lots of reasons that could happen, but then the real point of the matter came out.
“He’s not very attractive…am I THAT shallow that I can’t appreciate a man’s other qualities without that getting in the way!?!” She was very disappointed in herself.

The only analogy I could come up with was, “Well, not everyone likes cilantro! Taste is taste is taste, and I really don’t think that it’s anyone’s fault if you’re not physically attracted to someone!”

More specifically, am I a shallow person if a handsome man hits on me but the only thing that comes out of his mouth is “Duuh, you’re purdy.”

I require intelligence, that’s paramount. I refuse to believe that my requirement for brains would make me a shallow person.
So, in the same breath, I must refuse to believe that not liking someone’s physical appearance isn't also perfectly acceptable.

On the OTHER hand...men often get chastised severely for expressing their requirements in a woman, particularly if they are physical requirements.
I wonder why the double standard?

Huh.
Oh well, I don’t like cilantro and I refuse to feel bad about it.
And I don’t like Brad Pitts’ looks either. pffft.

What a horrid beast I am.

No comments: