Monday, January 02, 2006

Wild ANIMALS....EVERYWHERE!

I spent Christmas on Vancouver Island (Courtenay, to be exact), at the beautiful apartment of my dear mom.

10 years ago, I lived in that same apartment building with my sister, in the quiet, relatively unpopulated part of Courtenay, on the bend of the Courtenay River.

My sister and I resided on the top floor, and had a view of the mountains; my mom lives on the same floor now, right across the hall from my old place.
She has a long and beautiful view of the local park right across the river, and both the 5th Street bridge - which is closest to her - and further down the river, the 17th Street Bridge.

(Hey, it's Courtenay, we don't need original names for bridges...name it after the darn street and be done with it!)

In the bend, swans collect, and seals.
Many different kinds of ducks also adore the calm backwater there, as well.
(Truth be told, though, the Courtenay River can never be considered a rough river at the worst of times, occasionally it floods the park, but it's a pretty gentle river.)

And along with the regal swan and sleek seal?

Eagles, eagles, EAGLES!

They've built an aerie right near my mom's place as well, and as the river has a healthy salmon population, they have a tendency to gather at certain points...including, right by mom's house....

So, look REAL close.

Yes, that's taken from mom's balcony.
Across the way in the background, the local park, and OH! What is that?

Could it be?!?


8 comments:

blackcrag said...

Well, at least someone was home for Christmas. Curious how your mum ended up across the hall from your old apartment. Must have been like coming home twice over for you.

Thanks for the support you've offerred over the last few posts. Next time I go to Vancouver we'll make sure we get together, you, me and Nisha.

Have a great New Year, Tai. New year, new job! That's a great way to start a better year than the one before.

OB Juan said...

Wow...talk about visualization!

I can picture the exact view you are talking about.

Likely won't be back in the Valley until next Christmas now and I think I will always miss it. AS much as Calgary is now "home", I will end up back in the Valley at one point....

Josh said...

That’s amazing. I wish I could see things like that from my window.

Mathieu said...

This thing is on :)

nice picture.

Hey, at least, you're not living with her in the appartment. I remember a family living in the same chamber when I was a student! but that's another story.

Was christmas good? I hope so.

Have a good day!

Crystal said...

Eagles, and I thought those were native only to the U.S.! Great job at capturing a photo of this regal creature, and I've heard wonderful things about Vancouver Island. I've been to Ontario and Quebec but never British Columbia. I would love to go hiking and kayaking up in that area, one day~~

JM said...

What a gorgeous view you just described. I think I could sit and look at it all day long. Wouldn't be very productive, but I could still sit and stare all day long.

OB Juan said...

Ah Seal Bay! Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous!

A short distance from the ferry terminal on the Comox side and yet when walking through the tall trees you would think you are in some sort of distant forest removed from everything!

Walk down to the beach and stroll there for awhile then back through the trees...

Ah, HOME!

Cathy said...

Tai;
Thanks for stopping by my blog today. You live in a beautiful part of our country, that's for sure!