Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I may be a geek girl, but I could beat you off the line! *


I may (happily, I might add), be considered a 'girl geek', but I would object to being known as only that.

I define the 'geek girl' statement by the fact that I can repeat whole passages of 'Monty Python's Holy Grail'.
I have read the entire 'Hitchhikers Guide' several times, and I really, really enjoy reading about quantum physics - though truth be told I don't actually understand it.

I love books on the history of salt and other seasoning products, and the prisoner numbered '6' means something to me (but not enough to join an appreciation society).

Am I safe to say that most would agree, to some level, these things indicate a degree of geekdom?

On the other hand, I try to be a well rounded person.

I play a wicked game of pool, know how to ride a motorcycle, and was once arrested at gunpoint for driving a Ferrari WAAY to fast.

When my car acts up, I can usually figure out what's wrong even if I can't fix it.

A perfect evening might entail a glass of a good pinot noir sipped while listening an old jazz tune in a dark, cozy room; or it might just be an all girls night on the town - mothers, lock up your sons!

AC/DC (as long as it's played at a reasonable level when I'm trying to sleep), is a great band to play while rocketing about in my car; and heck, I even want to learn how to fly a helicopter.

So what's the point of this blog?

Not much, really.

I think I just wanted to say that the world needs to shake free of those uncomfortable little categories of definition.

Once you define yourself, or allow others define you, it becomes all that much more difficult to expand how and who you are.

Learning 'outside' your regular world view can only be a good thing.

So to that end I'm going to try rock climbing in a professional environment (in the warmth and comfort of an inside 'wall' climbing facility, of course), instead of bashing about on slippery slopes, miles from help like I usually do.
I'll let you know how it goes!

(Oh, and I might try driving at normal speeds, too, but I'm not promising anything.)





* Well, not in MY car of course...something nice. And fast. I like shiny red cars. Just in case you were wondering.

8 comments:

Valkyrie said...

I don't whether I am a geek or nerd...

I love to read, like the comic book X-men, pick a word a day to study and learn, and think about travelling.

kimber said...

I embrace geekdom with hearty enthusiasm. Nee! Nee!

OB Juan said...

Geeks and Nerds rock!

I can say with great confidence that I am a geek.

I love math and physics. I love problem solving. I work with computers (hardware and software) and can usually determine what is wrong long before I could determine the problem with my car!

Nothing to be ashamed of, am proud to be a geek!

Mz.Elle said...

I heart geeks and nerds:)
Better to be original than be like everybody else!

Heidi said...

This was a great entry.. ^5! (high 5)

Spider Girl said...

You are one of the most multi-faceted people I know, dearie.

You attract trouble and adventure like no one else I know. But in a fun way.

And you may be a book-geek and a Monty-Python geek, but so am I, and let's drink to that!

*Spider Girl heads off to the Nerd Bar in Yaletown*

Yes, there's such a place. :)

Pol* said...

I take offence to the term "geek" because I do not work in a circus biting the heads off of chickens or eating bugs..... the fact that I know what a "geek" originally was,I guess qualifies me through default. "NERD", now that's a label I can be very happy with. Now if you excuse me I need to go off dirtbiking now!

M. Santos said...

I think I'm a geek girl-this will mean I need to buy a whole new wardrobe. Shoes at least