Friday, December 30, 2005

Jerome K. Jerome




Ever since I was about 13 or 14, I've loved Mr. Jerome for his sense of humour, for his whimsical side, and for his gentle sorrows at the way the world can turn.

My copy of "Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow" is the signed copy from 1890.
My father managed to find the "Second Thoughts...." for me for Christmas and I was so happy! Neither he nor I knew it even existed.

Here's one of my favorite passages....

(From "Idle Thoughts....)

"It is a strange thing this bed, this mimic grave, where we stretch our tired limbs, and sink away so quietly into the silence and rest. "Oh bed, oh bed, delicious bed, that heaven on earth to the weary head," as sang poor Hood, you are a kind old nurse to us fretful boys and girls. Clever and foolish, naughty and good, you take us all in your motherly lap, and hush our wayward crying. The strong man full of care - the sick man full of pain - the little maiden, sobbing for her faithless lover - like children, we lay our aching heads on your white bosom, and you gently soothe us off to by-by."

4 comments:

Mz.Elle said...

Oooh that was beautiful!

What a thoughtful gift:)

Spider Girl said...

I remember that as a really good book. Thanks for lending it to me, Tai.

And on that quote, I'm heading off for bed myself. :)

blackcrag said...

Jerome K. Jerome! I love him, he is hilarious. I've only read Three Men in A Boat but it's a great read.. I read it constantly.

I also collect old books. I have this beautiful copy of Tennyson's poems. The leather cover is as soft as a magic spell.

I'll have to look for these other books by him.

Pol* said...

SIGH..... I am also very happy reading it (especially with you!)