Thursday, December 08, 2005

In continuation of the previous theme...

I agree with all the comments from the preceding post...Bill I agree with you, too, about the over-the-top PCness of everything.

I suppose, that the attempt to generalize major customs like Christmas, is to act as an encouragement to all cultures to feel included? Maybe?

But you know, I have never personally felt EXCLUDED from any one cultures celebrations.

In fact, if I asked some one of a different cultural orientation to teach me about their celebrations, I'm sure they would happily, and I'd be a more interesting, and aware individual.

And I be sorely disappointed if we "pc'd" everything into oblivion.

No new expressions of well-wishes in other languages to learn, no special celebration foods to try for the first time, no joy in discovering wonderful other traditions to incorporate into your own festivities.

The world would be a dull and gray place to live WITHOUT a multitude of cultures.

Perhaps the answer isn't to blur out differences by rubbing out the edges, but to make EVERYONE'S celebrations important, so no one feels left out and everyone gets a chance to celebrate something that represents happiness and joy around the world?


(And can you imagine how many stat holidays we would have, it's enough to make anyone want to jump on that bandwagon!)

4 comments:

Spider Girl said...

My workplace usually pays for those non-legally required stats like Boxing Day and Easter Monday but as of Jan 1st they're revoking that.

Bah, humbug!

We DEFINITELY need something multi-cultural to fill this grinchy gap.

Bah! Bah I say!

By the way, I don't know when you might get to town but there's a Yule celebration on Dec 18th AND 19th...and possibly the 21st and..I might have an invite for something else. Yep, lots of pagan things to choose from if you come to town early. :)

blackcrag said...

I think it is every culture's right to have their holidays over-commercialized and celebrated beyond recogonition of the original intention.

Every culture has the right to have it's holy and cultural observances exploited for profit until it is devoid of meaning.

That is what makes the holidays so great!

rauf said...

Yes, Clean white wall is good for sometime, but you'd like to see colours splashed on them. Where ever I go I try the local food. In India, culture language or food changes every 100 miles, and we have so many holidays here.

Thanks for stopping by

Lindsey said...

I totally agree. I hate having to be so PC about it...why can't everyone's holiday be special?

Though I have to admit that I think the new company policy of not being allowed to say "merry christmas" but "happy holidays" instead is stupid. Why does everything have to be made into such a big deal?