Monday, August 21, 2006

"The Shakespeare Incident."

I want to share with you an amusing episode from the other night (now referred to as "The Shakespeare Incident").
Twas the night before I went to see the Shakespeare play "Midsummer Nights Dream" at Vancouver's "Bard on the Beach Festival" (for which I should include a link instead of being lazy, but alas, I'm expected for dinner shortly and so am pressed for time.)

Spider and her dear husband were visiting that evening, in preparation for said event, and we were all fast asleep in my wee apartment.

Suddenly, in the dark hours before summer's dawn, a voice rang out across the alley, "You should not have believed me; for virtue cannot
so inoculate our old stock but we shall relish of
it: I loved you not.
Get thee to a nunnery: why wouldst thou be a
breeder of sinners?"


"Hey," I started, "That's Hamlet!"

More sonorous quotes, more passages from Hamlet...something about balconies.
But it was the rocks that had Spider leaping to her feet in consternation.

Check out Spider's account. She made me laugh out loud!


(Also? I'm on HOLIDAY! Thus the questionable posting output. I'll be back sometime next week!)

10 comments:

Pol* said...

I get to see you!!!!! Hooray!

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai

Have a great holiday and enjoy your time off...

Jay Noel said...

Get thee to a holidayee...

In Hamlet, when he says those words to Ophelia, you can just feel the sting. Heavy stuff.

Josh said...

Enjoy your holiday!!

blackcrag said...

There was a very interesting discussion in my Gr 12 Lit class over the Hamlet-Ophelia relationship... the girls thought Hamlet was churlish in his treatment of her and didn't love her, the boys thought he did, and was protecting her from repercussions of his actions.

But rocks and windows are a bad combination. Spider was rightly concerned.

Jay Noel said...

I'm of the opinion that Hamlet did indeed love her, and was protecting her from all of his craziness. I also think that from acting like such a nut-job, Hamlet at times did get carried away in his frenzy and did actually become a total freaky-do at times.

Tim Rice said...

Sounds like you're having fun! Enjoy.

Dinah said...

Go Holiday! I hope you have a great time.

Dr. Deb said...

Enjoy your time away from bloggin'

David Amulet said...

HOLIDAY? WOO HOO! You can spend it reading all of Shakespeare's works. Twice.

-- david