Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Learning new things.


Early the other morning I believe I found one of the most stunning trees I think I've ever seen.

Oh! And I've seen some truly beautiful trees, I must mention that...there once was a Maple tree in a gently sloping field that I will never forget.
Remember 'Pol? Remember it's limbs that we drowsed in?
And the cows that followed us, hoping for dinner?


Anway.
I digress.

My friend and I happened upon a truly remarkable tree in the Point Grey area of Vancouver last weekend.
We were wandering about, admiring the stately old homes and August full-blown gardens when the most stunning of trees rustled softly over us.

Looking up through the green-glowing sunlight we stopped dead.

A white gray trunk 3 people around full with long delicate branches stood over us, filtering the morning light in a patched spectacle on the pavement where we stood.

Walking across the street to admire it from a distance, we murmured as if on holy ground, "I wonder what kind of tree it is...it's spectacular."
"It must be very old to have grown to that size. I wonder it's age."

As if the tree had sent a messenger to answer us, a non-descript middle aged man on a bicycle rode slowly near, then stopped by us.

Almost unbidden he said, "That's an American Beech Tree. The neighbourhood was established in 1912 and it's thought that that is an original planting."

And just as slowly, our thanks echoing after him, he rode on.
Of course, when I turned to look to see where he had gone, he had vanished.


I love learning new things.

I learned a marvelous tree I love lives at Dunbar and 1st, and that people sometimes still stop to chat with strangers.

23 comments:

Josh said...

I wish I had a tree like that in my yard. I love them and become impatient by how long it takes them to grow. That is one thing that makes them so beautiful though.

Zambo said...

Hey Tai!

That's a pretty cool discovery!

I try to learn at least one new thing each day, if possible...You got a 2-for-1 combo there!

Another way to determine the age of a tree is to cut it down and count the rings in the stump...(I didn't necessarily say it was a good way, but can you really trust the word of a stranger?)...

I think I may have just ruined the moment there...Sorry...

I hope your week is going well!

Take care out there!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

blackcrag said...

Trees are cool. I like to take pictures of trees. I have even taken pictures in trees. Trees are good like taht.

Grant said...

What a great tree. When you chop it down, be sure to count the rings to see how old it was.

Mz.Elle said...

What a beautiful experience!

Anonymous said...

well, this is a first for me - a post about trees and how lovely there are.

this post was lovely, too, miss tai.

i was just blog hoppin'; hope to see you soon.

Eric said...

At my childhood home, the house across the street had a giant sugar maple in it's front yard. Every autumn, it would burn bright orange, and then dump it's leaves on the whole street and the yards of 5 or 6 other houses, including our's.

Anyway, I learned a year or so ago, that they had cut it down, and it was probably at least as old as the town itself! There should be a law.

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai

For me all trees have their charms, true, some more than others. I'm glad you found a new friend and it was nice of the man on the bycycle to stop as well...

The baby black walnuts are doing well, I've lost one but gained two more and the silver variegated maples are hanging in there though its been rough on them as hot and dry as its been...

I hope you gave your new found friend a hug...:)

Jo said...

Tai, there is also an exquisite tree at 10th and Burrard. It has a divided trunk. You can't miss it. It's right in front of 1750 West 10th. I can't walk past there without standing and looking at it for a few minutes. It almost has a spirit.

Josie

Spider Walk said...

Isn't it refreshing when you slow down lifes pace and discover something amazing like a really cool tree?
Think of all the people who rush by that statly old beech and never even notice?
Yes, you are truly blessed :)

When I read about the man riding by who stopped to answer questions he never heard--I got HUGE goosebumps!!

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

This is a breathtaking little story.
I love those magical encounters with people.

Skye said...

Hi! Just came by to say ... Hi! Hug a tree today! (they maybe gone too soon) Great post! :)

Scott from Oregon said...

I raise curly willows from cuttings and give them to people for their front yards. I tie knots on them and twist them together when they are young, so that a few years down the line (they grow very fast) people will stop just to ogle them.

I also love to dig up trees that have sprouted from seeds and bring them home. I put them in nursury pots and I watch them grow. Then I plant them somewhere and watch them grow some more.

I once saw one of the world's largest tan oaks. A classroom of kids could have hid behind it.

Ian Lidster said...

Nice neighborhood too. When I was at UBC I lived at Dunbar and 17th. Loved it around there.
cheers,
Ian

Phil said...

That's a nice story. I love old trees because I just imagine the history and passage of time that has gone on around them while they stand as silent observers. If they could speak they would be very wise.

fjl said...

Lovely. 'Hurt not the trees.'

Mike said...

Just think... That tree has been in that spot for nearly a hundred years, just waiting for someone to come along and love it...

wes said...

Sounds like a nice person, they were probably from Saskatchewan. :p

And thanks Tai for your kind words on my blog, its so nice to hear those kinds of compliments. :)

I like your blog too. :)

David Amulet said...

Perhaps he was the spirit of the tree in material form reaching out to you...

-- david

JM said...

I always seem to miss the forest for a tree.

dragonflyfilly said...

Dunbar and 1st eh? i used to baby-sit for the then young Pantages (he was a lawyer, she was a housewife/tennis player) at Dunbar and 6th or 7th, .....and yes, it is indeed a beautiful tree, so nice to have a bit of history about it...i marvel at the different shades of green that we are so fortunate to have here in BC, thanks Tai, for this lovely photo.

Mad Ethel said...

I know this sounds stupid, but I have a deep respect for trees. Old ones, that is. I can't help but try to imagine what kind of weather and wars it has seen over the decades and it makes me sick to see them chopped down when new developements are established. How long do they grow? Who knows. We always chop them down.

Tim Rice said...

Trees are marvelous and awe-inspiring