Thursday, February 09, 2006

My favorite painting.



This ISN'T exactly the painting I own, but it's darn close.

The artist, Brian Scott, is a vital fixture in the valley. His lively, richly painted interpretations of the aging homes that proliferate in the valley are much sought after around the world.

At the bottom right-hand corner is a red-roofed building; it's the United Church that Spider and I used to sneak into in the dead of the night and thump away on the old organ housed within.

Yup, it's my old hometown.

It's CUMBERLAND.

Chances are, you've never heard of this little town on Vancouver Island.

The population is only around 6,000 people.
No malls or movie theaters.
8 streets one way and 7 the other...pot holed and mostly sidewalk free.
Truth be told, it's not much of a town.
In fact, when I resided there it wasn't even classed as a town, it was (no kidding), a Village.
"The Village of Cumberland."

On the other hand, I do owe Cumberland a real debt.
Spider, Kimber, and 'Pol, are by far the best friends anyone anywhere could ever dare to ask for, and Cumberland's exactly where I found them!

(BlackCrag and OB Juan will also know EXACTLY what I'm talking about; both having survived their own trials and tribulations there!)

This painting looks just the way I like to remember that old place; crooked fences, bright coloured houses, and a brilliant moon illuminating the spaces where the streetlights miss.

As you drive into the tiny little valley, especially in the evening, you can see the smoke drift and curlique about the treetops; ghosts gathering silently over head.

Sometimes I go back in the fall.
I go back simply to walk around at dusk to smell the smoke pouring forth from the woodstoves and fireplaces; it's a rich, memory-inducing smell for me.

I love that painting.
(Darn, I guess I kind of miss that little place!)

13 comments:

Mz.Elle said...

I know where Cumberland is,I know!
I love that painting:)

blackcrag said...

6,000? Really? You would never have got me to guess as high as 1,000 people living there. You’re not counting the graves are you? Since when did Cumberland make it to town status?

Others looking at the painting might think the artist took some liberties with the angles of the houses but no… they are really built like that. I used to deliver the Green Sheet down that street. The people are great, though. I still have friends that live there.

It is a pleasant walk in the evening and late at night, isn’t it? Quiet, peaceful and picturesque...but I don’t want to live there again.

Anonymous said...

When Jesus knew he was going to be crucified he told the people of Cumberland the following:

Don't change a thing till I get back !!!

:)

Spider Girl said...

Your painting has the two girls sitting on the house porch. I always look at it and think: that's me and Tai. :)

I know Cumberland has grown a bit, but it was only 2000 people when we were there...

Must be all the culture at the Abbey.

kimber said...

I'll admit it. I miss Cumberland. I love going back, and I hate to leave.

(hmmm.... start checking pork products for wings, folks.....)

Josh said...

I really like that painting to. I love colorful stuff. I would have liked to grow up in a little village like that.

Anonymous said...

It's strange for you to bring up Cumberland today as that is exactly where I spent my day today.

Finally a nice day of full sunny skies and mountians covered in snow after the bleakness of a dark cold winter...

Standing there on the steps of Cumberland Jr. sun glasses on and not a care in the world to be seen...

Home.

black feline said...

it should be earmarked for conservation..reminds me of the Ingall family of The Little House in the Praries..

sneaking into the church with your friend..so like Laura Ingall..lol

OB Juan said...

Ah, good ole Cumberland...there are a few years of my life I will never get back ;)

This artist also has one of the main drag of Cumberland (don't laugh, it does have a main drag) with Rose's Restaraunt in it. I used to love the food there and would sneak down at lunch the odd day to eat....and just throw out whatever my Mom sent with me to school.

I love this artist and his images of that time of my life. It really sparks some memories looking at the hosues and the church...I tend to drive out there for a look at the changes whenever I make it back "home".

Oh wait, I never threw the food out, I had the human garbage can (aka: Blackcrag) to give it to.

And if you think Cumberland was small, I grew up in Fanny Bay (yes that is the real name)

fjl said...

It's your home town, that's what matters.

Spider Walk said...

That is a beautiful painting. I too live in a village...similar to the one you described. I think our population will hit 3,000 this year...no kidding!!

It is sometimes charming,and sometimes lonely...but it is a nice place to raise a family as everyone knows everyone else and we all help keep an out for each other.

nicki said...

i really like that painting :)

Tim Rice said...

That is a gorgeous picture and a good combinations of colors and geometric shapes.