Wednesday, February 22, 2006

#?*!

The other day, I stopped my car (nary a crosswalk in sight), to allow a middle aged woman and, (presumably) her daughter to cross the street.

I sat quietly, patiently as they started off the curb…watched silently as they crossed the mid line, and passed along in front of my car.
And then I couldn’t take it anymore.

I was furious and it wasn’t pretty.

I honked at them.

I honked as they stepped up to the other sidewalk without once acknowledging the fact that I stopped mid-street, for no good reason other than to allow them to cross safely.

I honked because I was frustrated.
Probably I shouldn’t have.
But I felt this insane need to capture their attention; to make them LOOK at me and see that there was someone other then themselves on the planet.
I honked because I wanted them to say thanks, or nod, or in some little way notice me sitting there.
Waiting for them.

When people waltz through doors as I hold them open without even a sideways glance, I have no problem saying loudly and sarcastically, “Gosh, you’re welcome!”.
Occasionally it works; sometimes they half turn, sheepishly, grudgingly muttering ‘thanks’.
More often than not, though, they continue on their way, oblivious.

Well, Lynne Truss has written yet another insightful book on this very topic.

Entitled, Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door, Ms. Truss applies her razor sharp wit, fiendish sense of humour and real concern as to the epidemic that is the unmitigated 'jerkish uprising' that's quickly taking over the world.

And I'm not some grumpy old lady.
I'm 33.
(Just to prove that it's not just older people who shake their canes at the terrible crassness of the youth these days.)

And, as my initial example demonstrates, it's not just the young who seem to be increasingly rude, it's people who should know better, too!

But I suppose ones sense of 'entitlement' changes to whom you are courteous, or whom you blatantly ignore?

Mine is a kind of moral outrage too.
I want to wail out, cry outloud at the snub.

"I'm good enough, damn it! My kind actions deserve to be noted!! Hello?? I'm worthy of your nod of thanks!!!"

It seems like an over the top reaction, I suppose, but I despise being looked through.

So.

Please.

Read "Talk to the Hand".

And thank you in advance!

20 comments:

Heidi said...

This has happened to me many times..No acknowledgement. Whether I'm opening doors for people, picking something up that falls, etc..The Noive!

Going to check out that book.

Courtney O. said...

I HEAR YA, SISTER!!!
People are the worst :)

CrackerLilo said...

Been there, done that.

I have heard of the book, but am not certain I want to read another tract on the decline of Western Civilization at the moment.

BostonPobble said...

*sigh* I thought I was the only one who wanted to rail against people like this. It doesn't make it any better but at least we're not alone.

Kelsey said...

Personally I have a kill them with an overabundace of annoying kindness policy. For example: You hold the door, they walk through not acknowledging your existence say, "Have a great day!" so everybody in the room can hear it.

I apply this to my road rage as well. Whenever I wanna fly the bird I give a big bug-eyed smile and wave like my hand is on fire.

Of course, if "Killing with kindness" doesn't work, you can always revert to killing with your automobile.

Paul said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I appreciate it!!!

Grant said...

Rude people should be killed. I don't know why the government won't approve my request for a license to kill. I would exercise good judgment.

nicki said...

oh man..that post sure hits home..i can't stand when people behave like that...i don't know how many times i've held the door for someone..and they just keep on walkin by..it really does drive me crazy..and like you..i have no problem saying a sarcastic you're welcome very much..i'm definitely interested in that book..i'm gonna take a look at it today at chapters! ttyl!!

fjl said...

I know exacty what you mean, and I cope with it, I think, by enjoying my Princess moments to the max, which I make very sure occur as much as my generous door opening ones. When I glide through the door and someone's holding it open for me I most certainly do not, give thanks. :0)

blackcrag said...

Man, itis times like those I am glad I am self-absorbed. I hold doors open for people, wave at cars that stop for me as I cross the road (where there is no crosswalk, naturally), say bless you when strangers sneeze, even nod and smile at complete stangers sometimes... but I don't care if I get a response or not.

It is the act that matters, not the recognisition.

In fairness, though, most people do say thanks, or nod and smile at me to recognise my existence.

Pol* said...

oh baby! I feel your pain! It bugs the hell out of me too, and makes me wonder why I bother being nice atALL!

Tai said...

Yup, Ian hit the nail on the head.
"...those uber-pampered sons-of-bitches with some sort of unfounded sense of 'entitlement' that means that you and I should devote our energies to serving them, but don't ever expect a nod of either gratitude or acknowledgement."

Well, I've got news for THEM!! I am NOT less, and I am NOT here to serve!

Though Crag's right, as well...my expectation of 'thanks' takes away from the kind act slightly.

But there's got to be a happy medium somewhere!

Tim Rice said...

Sometimes we become so blind to the acts of kindness around us. Sometimes, when I am not recognized; I wonder how often I fail to recognize others.

Nevertheless, I know the emotions/the feelings that arise when someone seems unaware of one's generosity.

blackcrag said...

I'm alsoright when I tell you to get a new job! So get one already! You know you wanna!

:P fuzzbox said...

Should have gave them a little bump. You just can't be nice to some people.

David Amulet said...

Maybe I'll look at that boo, because I share your frustration. When I let someone in front of me in a car line and I don't get "the wave," it's disturbing. I mean, really--how hard is it just to acknowlegde someone's kindness.

And yes, at one point I realized that I didn't always give "the wave" when I moved in front of someone ... so I began doing it religiously. Now folks must think I'm having seizures as I change lanes!

-- david

K. said...

I always wave my hand when someone waits for me to cross the street, even when I have the "right of way" as a pedestrian!! I agree with you that people are just more rude all the time now.

Zambo said...

Hey Tai.

It gets harder to do nice things for people when one is faced with such circumstances...

I was just thinking of the scene in "Pulp Fiction" where Butch is in the car and Marsellus is crossing...Their eyes meet and there's that instant of recognition...Then Butch hits the accelerator and runs him down...(Too bed we're not supposed to do stuff like that)...

Anyway, take care Tai.

Talk to you soon.

Your Pal,

Zambo.

Josh said...

You are so right. I say run them down next time.

Thank you for holding open those doors too!

jem said...

As a fellow 33 year old I was thinking the other day how I cant wait to be old, if only to be able to demand that everyone younger than me pays me respect and lets me get away with rudeness and selfishness because of my seniority!