Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Bits from the Island

I've been working and working and moving and cleaning and volunteering and tidying and weeding.

Whew.

I'm beat.

My job started on Monday. It's a short walk from our new place which is wonderful, but OH the filing!

Oddly, I don't mind filing. There's something to be said for a job that allows you to put pieces of paper into alphabetical order and see a sort of accomplishment at the end.

My co-workers gasp at the tremendous piles of paper in front of me (stuff going back 4 years!) and wonder at how I keep my sanity. "Oh, you must be so bored, poor thing!" I nod and smile, back bent to my task.

What they don't know is that I actually like it.

They don't understand that the repetitive task allows me time to think my own thoughts and escape in to my own worlds. Of which there are a great many marvelous and varied creations to keep me occupied.

In other news.
Our neighbours mowed our lawn the other day, which was nice of them.
It was looking rather weed infested (honestly? I don't think there ARE any bits of grass in that poor lawn. I suspect it's 50% dandelion, 30% morning glory and 20% rock) and nasty. And with no trees or plant (besides a rather ill looking Chestnut tree growing much too close to the house) it's in definite need of some tender loving care.

I'm really enjoying this new house of ours, despite the lawn. The kitchen is taking some getting used to as the stove and the fridge are in a different room from the sink and counter space. Odd, no?
But interesting and lovely.

Anything else?
Nope. Not at the moment!
Hope all is well everywhere else!

16 comments:

Hermes said...

Glad you're enjoying the new digs. Say nothing to the neighbour. Maybe they'll always mow for you. File on!

Big Brother said...

Maybe they cut your lawn because it was threatening their lawn's integrety. Or then again maybe they are just nice people. ;o)

Crazy Me said...

My neighbors cut my lawn when I first moved into my place. It was wonderful. Sure wish they'd do it now! LOL!

BostonPobble said...

People always wonder why I like clerical work to help pay the bills between writing gigs. Glad to know Somebody gets it.

Scott said...

That is a little odd about your kitchen. Strange!

Jazz said...

Hey, d'you think if you're really nice, the neighbors will wash your car for you, or maybe do your windows?

Mz.Elle said...

Congrats on the new job! I adore tasks like that too,for the same reason:)
I laughed and laughed and laughed at your description of your lawn. I know exactly what you mean!
Better run,I'm supposed to be cleaning under neath the stove,ick

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad you are still alive.

Jo said...

I have this "a place for everything, and everything in its place" fetish, so I don't mind filing either - when I have to, that is. Is the job perm or temp?

Mathieu said...

Neighbors are like that. They help sometimes!

Your house looks pretty! Congratulations! (And you look pretty too - as always)

I hope your house is eveything you want it to be. Moving in is always a bit hard. You'll get use to it!

Be well.

David Amulet said...

I agree totally about filing or other such tasks--it's a chance to get paid to think, and that's awesome.

-- david

kimber said...

I adore my filing job -- I come away from it feeling refreshed and inspired. So, yeah, I get it. :)

JM said...

Yay on the new house!

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai

Yes my filing is starting to backup, I really must go to the archives and get going on it, but I sort of save it for times when I don't feel like being bothered with putting out fires, it can be very relaxing...

I don't have an actual lawn, I call it "my conglomeration of predominantly green growing things", but in the summer when their lawns are all burned brown my weeds are nice and green....

Sounds like your enjoying your new job and new house, maybe a new kitchen is in order, or just remove the offending wall that keeps all your appliances separated...

Pol* said...

How exciting, I had no idea a new job was happening. I am out of the loop I suppose.

Happy home-settling.

QueenieCarly said...

People always seem to think that my job must be so boring. Truth is that I have a lot of time to think of all the things that are going on in my life, things that are way more important. I also get to read. I can get through the majority of a book in one single shift. Where else can you do that AND get paid?