Friday, July 13, 2007

Meme time!

Big Brother decided I didn't have enough to do in my day what with moving and trying to find a new job, so he tagged me. That's okay, a little aided procrastination never hurt anyone!
Good vibrations...I need to formulate a list of 5 things that take me to my happy place.
It's tough!
So many things give me pleasure.

Well, here's 5. But believe me, they are just the top of a very long list.

Driving. Driving is one of my ways of sorting my head out, clearing out the cobwebs and letting go of problems that have been plaguing me.
When I drive, all my attention is on the road, on surrounding traffic and on the scenes flying. It's about being in the 'now'.
I drive standard, and shifting through the gears on a stretch of open road, windows wide open and music playing wipes away anything that was cause for concern very quickly.
And speaking of music...

Jazz. I love jazz.
I love old jazz. I adore live jazz and new jazz and funky jazz and soulful jazz. It's the music that so easily reflects my moods. How to describe my love of it. Words seem inadequate. Jazz can make me joyful and then break my heart. It kept me company when I was alone and it weaves it's happy magic when I'm with friends. It's a language I understand.

Books. Ah, books. A day without reading is time without oxygen. It's that important to me.

Friends. I'm one of the luckiest people I know when it comes to friends.
I have had my closest friends by my side since I was 11 years old. Nothing in my life is true or real until they know about it. The bad things in my life were eased and softened by my friendships. They give what they have freely and expect nothing in return.
I can't say enough about how my life is made so much better by those 3 being in it.

My mom. I just love spending time with my mom.
I've written about how important she is to me before, so those of you who have read my blog will know.
I want to write about her, but what comes out seems to me be too saccharine. And while she is very sweet, she's also very strong and independent.
She's pulled our family through some incredibly hard times and been through some things that might make other people crumble, yet she retains a warmth and genuine concern for others happiness.
My mom is my reminder that you can go through hell and still be able to love unconditionally. (Damn, this was supposed to make me HAPPY, not make me cry!!)

20 comments:

kimber said...

I love your mom. She's an amazing woman, which makes a lot of sense, considering you're such an amazing woman, too. Tai, I count myself fortunate to be one of your friends.

(....zut alors, now I'm crying...)

BostonPobble said...

How beautiful. As someone who has the same kind of friends as you do, I have to agree: "Nothing in my life is true or real until they know about it. ...I can't say enough about how my life is made so much better by those 3 being in it." You are very lucky. As are they. ;)

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Great post. I love to drive also, and love jazz. I haven't had much time for reading lately; I've been busy at work and outside of work, but I've still been lurking. Stunning photo.

blackcrag said...

You see, this is why guys are more efficient. Where you have three friends that 'make things real', I have one. Where you have fifteen pairs of shoes, I only have two. See? Same reult, but guys need to accomplish the goal.

And walking works for me the way driving does for you.

Janice Thomson said...

Agree with you on all these Tai except substitute driving with walking. Love your pic AND your little black dress hee hee.

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai

Driving is not my happy place, it's what usually makes me want to go to my happy place. Nice pic, are those moose antlers Canadian girl? Having heard you write about your mom and seeing her picture, I would say there is something in her face and smile that says she should be everyone's mom. I think your best friends are something pretty special, just as you are...

Jo said...

Tai, you look so Italian in your photograph. Wonderful...!

And, how wonderful that you love your mother. That is a credit to you as well as to her. You have no idea. :-)

Cheers,
Josie

Jazz said...

Jazz is great. I love Jazz. And books. And being on the open road. Nothing like a road trip to get me smiling.

Hermes said...

Herman's is apparently still open. Blanshard and View. Check it out.
Cheers!

Ian Lidster said...

I suppose you might think you've been tagged (yet again), but you have also won an award, so please check my blog, dear friend.
Ian

Sparky said...

Awwww,I love that you have such an incredible relationship with your mum:)

Scott said...

I feel the exact same way about Books, and i am starting to feel the same way about Jazz. I think it took me a while to really understand it, but now I am a fan for life.

geewits said...

Those are good ones, although I don't get the driving thing. I know other people who drive to relax and I just don't get it. Jazz, Mom, Friends, Reading? Oh yeah!

Anonymous said...

Good post. I want to be happy (not to be confused with tagged). :)

David Amulet said...

"A day without reading is time without oxygen." Great line!! I couldn't agree more ... I wish i could get paid only to read.

-- david

Pol* said...

Ah yes, your mommy rocks! Your driving is a talent unique unto yourself (and as a timid driver I do not share the passion). Reading for you I have witnessed the essential hold is has on you, your friends -- ya their OK!!!! Jazz, now that is something I did not know!

Crazy Me said...

I'm so with you on the books thing. I can't go a day without reading. I go a little crazy!

Unknown said...

How is/did the move go? The new job?

Spider Girl said...

I'm honoured to be one of those three friends, dearie. It just wouldn't be the same without being able to share all the world with ya. :)

Jay Noel said...

I'm going to call my Mommy right now...s