Monday, July 09, 2007

The Union Club.

This evening I spent some time at the club Whatshisface and I recently joined.

It's one of those elite and snotty clubs that boasts memberships of political representatives and parliamentary movers and shakers.

It was 'Ladies Night' this evening.
An evening not as risque as the title might imply.
No, nothing lascivious going on. It is simply a weekly occasion for the wives of the elect to sit together and play bridge in the 'Card Room' or have a cocktail on the patio overlooking the harbour.

The only "Chip 'n' Dales" I saw were the desks.

And anyway, they wouldn't have made it past the doormen. Dress code in effect. Sparkly thongs are NOT approved.

The 'Reading Room' is one of the largest and most well appointed rooms I've ever seen dedicated to the sublime art of reading alone. Elegant leather couches, giant palms and a collection of daily newspapers from around the world all centered around a grand fireplace.
My dinner guest was a lovely woman. Someone I don't really know all that well, but would like too know better. Being relatively new to a city, finding companionable people is pretty important.

Boy, does she know how to swear.
I have to admit that I've been know to cuss. (Hey, you. Stop rolling your eyes!)

However, when I'm in a place that is designed to hold elderly women and their old friends, I try really hard to 'fit in'. To belong.

To not scare anyone.

And speaking of being scared, I have to admit I found the place intimidating at first. Lots of liveried help. Obsequiousness seemed to be a job requirement.

Takes some getting used to.

But part of me felt like I was being a snot because I looked around guiltily every time she cursed though the rest of me thought, "What the hell do I care?"
So what is the point of this post?

Well, mostly it's to say that I had a nice time, not sure if I fit in and I feel bad that I care how my friend expressed herself.

And boy-howdy, good thing there weren't any strippers. It might have become truly rowdy...some of those ladies were hitting the tea pretty hard.

11 comments:

Mz.Elle said...

I come from beginings like that...I SO don't fit in,lol
Not sure how that happened..I can fake it though when I have to!

Pol* said...

wow, that looks like a place where I may overcompensate my discomfort by being REALLY hick-ish.... that is to say, I feel like I stand out so I might as well exclaim " Well GOL-LLLEEEE! Look at all the perty stuff" and then eat everything in sight and make stupid jokes.
I'd like to think I would quietly sit down demurely with hands folded in lap, smiling and nodding... sigh.... I'm just not that smart when faced with the trappings of rich people.

Crazy Me said...

I totally agree with pol. Well said!

Anonymous said...

I find places like that fascinating - for probably not good reasons. ;)

Big Brother said...

You Tai in a place like that, I'm flabbergasted. I didn't know that you were a mover and shaker.

Janice Thomson said...

It is a wonderful looking setting but I'd feel out of place too. I remember going to a Governor's Ball one time and thought it kind of funny to be hob-nobbing with the rich considering my own humble background. But it's fun to do it once in a while - always puts a new perspective on things.

Jazz said...

I never would have thought of you as a private club sort of person...

Ian Lidster said...

Union Club, eh! So, I hope I'm still 'your sort' enough to qualify to go for coffee sometime. A very funny blog, especially since I know the place.
Ian

Hermes said...

Someone needs to swear in a place like that. Keep hanging out with that cursing buddy and go together EVERY night! Insist on spitoons! Or... just enjoy the reading room, that sounds cool to me.

Spider Girl said...

That place looks luxurious. Can I be your cool friend who you invite along? :)

I was just watching an episode of "Dead Like Me" today in which George takes the soul of someone at a club like this. Her co-reapers later ask what she thought of the place.

"Oh", she said, "it was all about snobbishness, entitlement, and bullshit...I LIKED it!"

Big Brother said...

Since you have enough time to hang around posh private old boys/girls clubs. I've tagged you. See my blog for details.