Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Overheard in the Police Station. *

Police Officer (PO): "Hi, can I help you?"

Older man (OM) with a soft English accent: "Well, it's a bit silly I suppose. Sorry to trouble you. I've come in because of my wife, you see. She asked me to come down else she won't be able to sleep."

PO: "Yes? What can we do?"

OM: "It's about that boy in the paper this morning. The boy they found? The murder?"

PO: "Yes?"

OM: "Well, it's just that my son has been missing for a few months now. My wife sent me down to see if it...if this might be him."

PO: "What is your sons name, sir?"

OM: "Dale M-."

PO: "Let me check for you."

OM: "Thank you. My wife just gets so worried. She wanted me to ask."

PO: "Well, sir, that's not the name of the man we found."

OM: "Oh. Well, that's a relief. My wife will feel better about that. Of course, it's terribly hard on her, you see. He's been missing for some time and you always have to wonder.

PO: "I understand, sir. Is there anything else we can do for you?"

OM: "Oh no. That's just fine. Sorry to hear about that other boy though. Blow to his parents."

PO: "Yes sir."

OM: "Right, I'll be off. Won't take up any more of your time."




*I was there to fill out an application for a criminal record check for some volunteer work I'm doing.

25 comments:

E. Rivera said...

How awful! I couldn't imagine!!!

geewits said...

How did you not cry?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

There's so much sadness in the world. *sigh*

Ian Lidster said...

How dreadful for him and his wife. How did you restrain yourself from giving the poor chap a hug? Such a situation must be like a nightmare.
Ian

Big Brother said...

How awful, I can't imagine having to do that for one of my children. It must be terrible, not knowing and wondering every time they find someone.

blackcrag said...

Glad you added that last bit. I was beginnign to wonder what involvement you had with a murder investigation...

Spider Girl said...

It puts my own rather insignificant anxieties into context...

Jazz said...

Whoa! Poor guy.

Suddenly all of my problems seem petty.

Anonymous said...

It is kind of eerie, morbid, but mostly sad. My heart goes out to him.

Mz.Elle said...

How heartbreaking:(

BostonPobble said...

I think I would have wept through the rest of my application.

Pol* said...

That is heartbreaking.... I hope hope hope I never have to look for my kids that way. GULP (lump in my throat) poor parents.

tsduff said...

Thanks for stopping by my place last week. So kind of you.

BTW - police station is a cool place to volunteer/work. I did a stint with the Citizen's Police Academy here in Walnut Creek - highly fun! Good luck.

Hermes said...

Hard to know how to respond to that. I wonder how many kids and teens go missing every year. I bet the number is high.

Scott said...

Wow, that is a really sad story. The poor families.

Crazy Me said...

That is so sad. Awful!

QueenieCarly said...

Oh. Now that is just awful. What a life that poor family must be living. Like some of the others, I'd likely have lost it too.

Mathieu said...

woah...

Talk about some sad story...

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai

That's certainly every parents greatest fear and there is not a damn thing we wouldn't give not to go through what that poor man is going through. I hear people sometimes say they don't fear anything and my first thought is always "you don't have a child, do you?". My heart truly goes out to that man...

Jay Noel said...

Wow...that is so incredibly sad. The man spoke with such indifference - as if he was really imposing on the police.

I wish the officer would've been a little more proactive.

Jocelyn said...

This seemed so surreal that I was waiting for a punch line.

Eeek. Kind of brings up a deep sob in me.

Dinah said...

That's so sad! It has a happy-ish ending, but still....you can't make this stuff up!

Jo said...

Omigod, I think that's every parent's nightmare. At least the parents of the dead boy will know what happened to him. The parents of the missing boy may go a whole lifetime without knowing.

I agree with Geewits, how did you not cry?

Lindsey said...

Holy moly. That's a bit sad and freaky all at the same time.

Hageltoast said...

awful for them, and the parents of the dead boy.