Monday, April 24, 2006

Take off, eh!

Yep. That's me with my hot little headset on, my aviator sunglasses firmly in place and a PLANE at my finger tips.

Yes, that right.
Your eyes did not deceive you.

I flew a darling little Cesna all over Vancouver this weekend.

(It's amazing what they let just anybody do these days, isn't it!) *

Here's me. FLYING!!!

My pilot Dirk actually seemed to be encouraging it.
"Here," he'd say, "You take the controls."
"No problem!" Pulling the plane into sharp spiralling banks, and straight back, up into the blue...it was a divine and lofty feeling.
(Until the turbulence over the mountains set in of course, and then the real fun began!)
It's a very interesting thing to suddenly have to be concerned about the third dimension of up and down while zooming about at 200mph.**
In truth, I've flown a helicopter too, but they are decidely different things.














This is beautiful Vancouver...Stanley Park is the large wonderful space of green at the bottom of the cityscape there. And the mountains over yonder are the "Lions" after which our bridge, "The Lions Gate" is named.


And there I stand after a long day in flight...there's nothing like a sunny blue day in the sky to make you grin like a maniac.




Oh.

And the snakes?





They're EVERWHERE!!! ***










* Wait'll Bush hears about that!
** Thanks Kris, for giving me the super-cool opportunity to add that to my list!
***Sorry Mr. Jackson, I just couldn't resist!

Oh, and as an added bonus...Spider wanted me to make note that Samuel L. Jackson and I (and to be honest, several other people) had drinks together here in Vancouver at a private club a few weeks before he filmed in my neighbourhood.
Maybe he overheard me.

33 comments:

BostonPobble said...

This is TOO COOL!

Spider Girl said...

Aaaaagh! Snakes on a Plane!

You are very brave and cool, my friend. :)

Anonymous said...

Good on you Tai !!!

JJ said...

What a great experience! I would love to take flying lessons. Sans the snakes, of course...

Mathieu said...

so, did you join the mile high club?

Grant said...

I hope you took advantage of the situation and radioed in a mayday - "We got mutha-fuckin' snakes!" :p

adman said...

Snakes could poke the pilots eyes out...I really hate flying in small planes, but I would probably be more relaxed if I was at the controls...at least I could control my own fate...the inevitable crashing of any and all flying machines

Scott said...

Looks like a wicked day up there. Nice to see the sunshine out in Vancouver!

Scott

The Miner said...

You seem like a fighter pilot in the first picture!
Wonderful pictures as always.

Pol* said...

fabulous darling!
You look great at the controls!

Heidi said...

WOW! Good for you..How exciting to be flying especially over beautiful Vancouver.

Mz.Elle said...

LOL
Those darn snakes;p

My hubby flew a plane and said it was the most exciting,coolest,wonderful-est(yep,it's a word) thing he's ever done!
YAY for YOU!!!

Dagoth said...

So this flight was to go fishing?.........since you were....."Tai Flying"

<*he slinks away in shame*>

K. said...

Truly a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing!!

Oh, and I just love the thing with the snakes. Too funny.

tsduff said...

Flying in small planes terrifies me... I'll stick to the road on my Harley... but You look good though :-)

fjl said...

FAB! I knew you could do it x

Anonymous said...

I am *so* envious. And what a fabulous weekend to be flying! Great photos too!

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Where have I been? I had no idea you could REALLY fly things! You GO, girl!

kimber said...

Simply put, you RAWK, Tai! :)

CrackerLilo said...

HOW COOL!!!

And with snakes, yet! ;-)

You got your royalty check coming soon?

gordaboo said...

you go girl and fly by the seat of your pants!!!

Ian Lidster said...

Off you went into the wild, blue yonder. Great pics, Tai. I like the fact you so know how to have fun. And, I didn't know you also flew. Multi-layers of a human being, eh.

JM said...

I'm so terrified of flying!! Kudos to you for driving a plane!!

blackcrag said...

Way to go, Tai!

Are you taking this up as your new hobby? No more ferry rides to the Island, you're just going to hop the Strait in a puddle-jumper?

The pics are great, it must be a fantastic view up there.

Crystal said...

You can FLY?! That's hot! ;-) Small planes make me nervous, because every little bump can be felt, and so I commend you for being so brave & adventurous. And meeting SLJ must have been so exciting! I was watching "Coming to America" starring Eddie Murphy the other day and it surprised me to see SLJ (holding up McDonald's in a robbery attempt) because I didn't remember him being in that film.

Tim Rice said...

Ah, that flying must have been fun! Beautiful views. Did flying give you a strong feeling of freedom? Anyway, neat!

Phil said...

Well congratulations! That's great. Just let me know ahead next time so I can travel to somewhere safe.

Lily said...

That's great! :)

Lois Lane said...

How very cool for you! I love your maniac grin!
Lois Lane

dragonflyfilly said...

OH....MY....GAWD!!!!...I am so JEALOUS ...and not much makes me so, but to be flying....a long lost dream of mine!...but you go girl...you are right up there with the eagles, lucky person...

as for the snakes: connection to the sublime and spiritual Kundalini, and healing, etc. to be respected, not feared...blah blah blah,,,how i do go on...anyway, glad to see a new and very interesting blogger at my site,

from a fellow Gemini-person...cheers!!! - and keep flying high - and thanks for the "view"

nicki said...

suweet!! i think i'd be tooo scared to fly in such a little plane :( smallest i have been on is an 18 seater i think...and it was SCAAAAAAAAAARY!!

Dr. Deb said...

WOW, You rock!!!!!!!

Josh said...

I'm still loving that snake bit.

Hey shouldn't you be looking forward when you are flying? Freaking me out! hahaha