Thursday, April 13, 2006

"If you go out in the woods today...."

May I suggest that you take the old Island Highway south, just past the Fanny Bay Inn and Cougar Smith Road; turn left at "Ships Point Road".

Then another quick left on "Little Way"
(Carefully, now. It sneaks up on you. You might just fly right past it like I did.)

Down "Little Way" following the road constantly to the left as you go.
Don't look for any signs; there aren't any.
It's a local thing; outsiders have to make friends with those 'in the know' to be shown it's secrets.

There, that mud-spattered pot-holed cul-de-sac. Park there!

Well, I suppose there IS a sign; it says "Boundary of Wildlife and Fisheries. Don't disturb plants or wildlife."
But that's not hint as to the wild dream-like world you are about to enter.

Just past that sign - can you see that wee cedar-chipped path...go down there a little ways.

Watch out!

Don't run into the flying fish!






If you need directions, perhaps you can ask the locals?








Then there's the interestingly overt religious connotations:



As you can see, this art also comes with strong environmentalist overtones!

(Yes. That IS an I.V. drip attached to that tree.)



Oh, and speaking of political controversy, how's this?




Yes, this little patch of woods carries a definite theme to it.

Though occasionally it's sort of hard to determine exactly what that theme is.

Oh, and worry about the rocks; they've been taken care of.

There were so many 'things' in this little corner of the world...some where obviously symbolic, and others, well, they just left you scratching your head.

But if you can find someone to show you this place...ask them to take you there.

It may not last very long; government isn't always partial to controversy on it's 'Crown Land'.

10 comments:

K. said...

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Ian Lidster said...

Nice piece and great pics, Tai. But it was even more enjoyable heariing about this expedition first-hand. Have the happiest of Easters.

BostonPobble said...

How delightful! I read the post thinking "I must get here!"

Pol* said...

Interesting, how come I have never experienced this hide-away in person? In fact I have never HEARD of it before (I guess I am not in the know). I Must see it soon.

Grant said...

Political demonstrations hidden in the woods in a place where outsiders can't find it? Yeah, that'll change American policy. Good thing you posted a picture.

It kind of reminds me of something George Carlin said: "I have as much authority as the pope, just not as many people who know it."

tsduff said...

Great spot to see - thanks for the tour! I love the iv in the tree!

Josh said...

I’m glad you put pictures up too. Like I told Spider, you guys live in such a neat place. I need to add it on my long list of places I’d like to visit sometime.

Jay Noel said...

That's great. I love the rock being in a cage. It's wonderful symbolism of how so many rock n' roll artists end up in jail.

Tim Rice said...

Interesting objects. I love the way you tell the story. :)

Crystal said...

This is so cute! Seems Canadians have a fun sense of humor.