Thursday, January 27, 2005

We live in dangerous times...

Two boys age 9 and 10 years old have been arrested in Florida (handcuffed and taken bodily from school) for drawing angry, violent stick figures depicting themselves stabbing at what authorities have determined to be a classmate of theirs.

I wonder what they would have made of the drawings and graphically violent stories representing my friends and I seeking retribution on our foes?

We lived in less paranoid times I guess (oh yeah, the 80's).
I regularly took a 5inch buck knife to school and no one batted an eyelash when I pulled it out to dissect an earthworm in science class. I still maintain that the 'Exacto' blade was dull.

And when we (a small but dangerous band of 4 girls) pulled a practical joke at school involving (imaginary) dynamite, the Principal - -apologies to you Mr. L. Irwin...we were young and foolish- -just sighed, shook his head and told us not to do again.

Gosh, we would have DEFINITELY been put in jail for that one if we had tried it today. Not to mention sent for psychiatric help for years after...not that I don't need it but...

On a semi related side note, I did find a humorous link regarding stick figures in dangerous situations:

http://www.capnwacky.com/warning/

Poor Bob. (or is that Earl...I always get them confused.)

1 comment:

Jet said...

If the conservatives weren't down here trying to micromanage their kids and everybody else's, perhaps the layers of buracracy wouldn't be so bent over to punish normal venting. I mean really, would they prefer the kids killed some small animals? Sheesh.