Sunday, June 03, 2007

Returned!

Oh yes, I'm BACK! And I'm TIRED!
We travelled in Italy for three sublime weeks.
Rome, Venice, Stresa, Cinque Terre, Florence, Siena and back to Rome for a final week where Spider, Jeff and I rented an apartment.

I wrote this post last night whilst still very tired so I thought I'd come back and fill in some gaps:
Spider Girl, her husband Jeff and Pol' and I all decided several years ago that we should go travelling together. We decided this was the year.
Pol had to leave after week two from Firenze (Florence), but the remaining three of us went on to spend a day in Siena and then on to a week in Rome in our very own apartment.

There are SO many pictures to choose from I can hardly decide on which to post.

I was thinking of doing a post for each city/town we spent time in...maybe I'll do that.

So to begin.

2 days in Rome and Ostia Antica *:

This is first picture is a detail from the fountain in the Piazza della Rotonda (outside the Pantheon)



And this one is me and one of the three 'faces' on display at Ostia Antica. I loved Ostia Antica. You could climb on the old walls and race around really exploring the grounds close up and personal. Though, truth be told, there wasn't much 'racing' going on as it was hot. Damn hot.


And the next two are from the forum. Blue sky, ancient marble and poppies.



Thanks to Spider for this picture, it's beautiful!

There will be more to come, I promise! But right now jet-lag has me cornered and cowering sleepily in a corner (yes, jet-lag. Still. But I think the cold I caught just before we left might have something to do with it as well.)


*Ostia Antica stood as a major port town for Rome from about the 3rd century BC. It was even larger than Pompei; about 3 times the size at one point. But times changed, of course and the Tiber began to silt up making it's use less reliable. By the 9th century Ostia was almost completely abandoned. Then came the tourists!

Oh, here's an interesting fact: The Leaning Tower of Pisa (never did see that, though we were at the train station in Pisa for about an hour!) was entirely built of material originally belonging to Ostia.

19 comments:

Mz.Elle said...

Welcome home!
Those photos are wonderful
and I can't wait to see and
read more:)

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Whoo Hoo, you're back! I was overjoyed to see you highlighted in my bloglines. Can hardly wait to hear and see more. Welcome back!

jmb said...

I was wondering when you would be back and I just saw you commenting so hopped over.
I hope you had a wonderful time and am looking forward to more photos.
Ben tornata!
jmb

Jo said...

That greenish shade you see glowing from your monitor is me - green with envy...!

Josie

BostonPobble said...

Back, Back, Back!!!! Post as many pictures as you want. Write as much as you want. We all want to see and read!!!!


Glad you're back. ;)

Hermes said...

Still very jealous! Can't wait to see pics of Florence. Did you go into the Boboli Gardens? No... don't answer! Post pics!

Anonymous said...

You know, you make me realize that I never get to see anything cool in my life. At least I can tune in to your blog. sigh

Janice Thomson said...

Delighted to have you back Tai and look forward to all the details of your trip. That should keep you blogging for a long time LOL
Enjoyed the pics so far...

Omega Mum said...

Well, I'm very glad you dropped into my blog because I'm certainly enjoying yours. Will be back.....

Big Brother said...

Welcome back Tai. Your descriptions and lovely pîctures make me want to pack up my bags and go traveling again with Mrs. BB. We just love climbing all over "old rocks and ruins", you should have seen us in the castles of Wales. Italy is definitely one of the places on our list of things to see.

Sugar. said...

Welcome back Tai! Looking forward to more Italy posts!

Jay Noel said...

Welcome back...wow. Those pictures are amazing. I love the old columns.

Crazy Me said...

I'm so jealous!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Welcome back. I've never been to Italy so I look forward to your travelogue. The first few photos are fantastic.

geewits said...

Hey Tai, open a flickr account so we can enjoy the slide show. I'm glad you're back. I bet you had a blst.

Ian Lidster said...

I actually have virtually the same Forum photo from my travels in Rome years ago. Of course, my picture was taken when it was 'new'. Just kidding -- I think.
Happy you are back, my friend.

Ian

blackcrag said...

Hello, love! You are back safe and sound once again.

The pictures look wonderful and I look forward to hearing all about the trip, by blog or any other form of communication--except smoke signals.

It's been raining and overcast for a week, so I wouldn't be able to see smoke signals.

Welcome home!

Jocelyn said...

So hot...and yet you have sleeves on. LADY, go for the tank top!

I can't wait to see even more photos and do some vicarious European travel...

tsduff said...

Bonjourno! Okay, why don't I just copy your blog and then I'll have my travel log all done! We just got back from Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre (my favorite in the universe) Florence, Rome, Naples, Sorrento, Mt. Vesuvius, Pompei, Paris and Ampsterdam... spent almost 3 weeks abroad on trains, trains, and more trains. Did Venice on a newly sprained ankle in the rain (and man alive, does it ever rain there!) but Montorosso took the cake in my book of beauty and serenity. My camera busted halfway through the trip, so wauugghhh :-(