Monday, October 23, 2006

In the news today.

First of all: THANK YOU ALL so very much for all your e-mails and concerns regarding the MIA status of my blog.
It just flabbergasts me that so many fine and funny and far more articulate writers are so interested in my relatively pedestrian life.
Really.
Thank you.

(oh, and Mom says 'Hi!')

Next of all: My move went splendidly well.
The movers I hired were courteous and efficient.
My dear friends Spider Girl and Jeff and Danny helped immensely with packing and encouragement.
Saturday after the move was one of the best Saturdays a girl could ask for.
A spa treatment and dinner and the Opera...a divine day after a very loooong one.

Third in the list and completely unrelated: a query.
It's come to my attention that a teacher recently convicted of sexual assault has been sent to exile in Canada.

Pardon me, what?

Exile?


"You are going to Canada in exile for your crimes." Says the Judge.

You must be joking.

Right??

Are we America's own Australia suddenly!?

(No offense to Australia of course.
I merely refer to the transportation of criminals from English shores to Botany Bay in an historical sort of fashion.
This is only to compare with the sudden American shipping of their criminals over the border to Canada in an ironic sense.

I'm sure all modern Australians are fine and upstanding individuals!

Not at all related in any tangible way to England's dark and criminal past.

I've never been to Australia of course.

But I'm pretty sure I'll meet some lovely good people there.

If I go.

Ahem.)

Anyway.

My point.

I LIKE living in Canada.

Bloody Hell!!
Don't send your convicted anything up here, thanks very much!

Fourth and very important:
Blackcrag?

You are right, of course.

Moving doesn't get you anywhere.

It is what's inside that moves you.

SO!

That's all the news that's fit to print.
From Victoria, British Columbia,
Signing Out,

~TAI~

16 comments:

Ian Lidster said...

Is there something in our constitution that suggests: "Send us your tired, your weak, your hungry and your perverts." Just wondering. Maybe we all missed that clause. Re Australians. Actually it's a source of pride in Oz to be a descendant of a Botany Bay exilee.
Anyway, my dear friend, I am so glad your move went well and happy you are on the Island. I'm not au courant of course, but shall be back.

Ian

Mike said...

I like Canada too... Maybe the guy is going to one of those barren territories... That wouldn't be too bad, would it?

Glad the move went well :)

BostonPobble said...

Oh thank God you're back.

Dinah said...

I like Canada too, but there are some parts that I wouldn't want to live in. Still, not a punishment...that's just messed up.

Pol* said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw
Tai, this is the video I was talking about! Laugh (or cry) at will

Pol* said...

ANd about the post... so happy that you are now on the same rock as ME again! I love unexpected visits and distractions from you. Hi to your mommy right back at her (with a hug of course). I take it this criminal was Canadian to start with? Perhaps DEPORTED to Canada? If not.... what the f#@k! That is so crazy! An malting iceberg in the middle of the Hudson's Bay surrounded by starving polar bears wouldn't even make sense for such a criminal.

Mz.Elle said...

Aww I'm glad you're all moved in.
Your Saturday does indeed sound divine:)
Enjoy your new home!

Zambo said...

Hey Tai!

I'm glad all seems to be going smoothly for you these days.

Kinda weird about that 'exile' story...Scary too...

Take care out there, Tai!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

gordaboo said...

Exiled to Canada....who thinks this shit up? I can't belive it. Only ever been to Vancouver once when I was little and a couple of months ago, went to Toronto...very beautiful country from what I saw.

djn said...

Now THAT is something else. Wow. I'm sorry (really) that some of the judges here in America have such terrible judgement. I'm disgusted, really.

Hi to your mom! Glad your move went so well.

blackcrag said...

ooh, ooh, what to answer first.... OK, fine, in order.

1) Tai, you constatnly underestimate your writing abilities. So many "fine and funny and far more articulate wrters" are interested in your life because you are a fine, and funny and articulate writer yourself.

2) I'm glad you had such a smooth move of it. I am beginning to look around at my living space and imagine it all in boxes myself.

3) Hey, I was exiled to Canada at birth, and I'm damn proud of it.

4) Of course I'm right. I'm always right. It only surprises me so few people recognise that I am right. Welcome to the enlightened who know I am always right.

Tim Rice said...

Have Canada send him back; not that we want people like that. But I wouldn't want Canada to export their problem people to us either.

I noticed that at the bottom of the article it gave the age of consent for a vast number of countries. I wonder why in some countries the age of consent varies according to what gender one is. That seems strange.

Glad your move went well.

Jay Noel said...

That's weird. They should exile him to Iraq.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tai

Cuba sends them to us...We send them to you...Yada Yada Yada...So now if I break the law I will to be allowed to immegrate to Canada, but not if I'm an upstanding (reasonably) citizen. I once looked into it and found out it was rated "extremely difficult" to immegrate to Canada by amnesty international... Who would have thunk it...

Phil said...

furilOn behalf of the United States I'd like to say, please take good care of our criminals. We've run out of room here, so they've got to go somewhere. We figured all your Dudley Do Right police need something useful to do. We'll take our criminals back when Canada takes all their geese back.

Barry said...

So when did we start exiling folks to Canada? Dang, I miss out on all the news!!! :D