Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Book recommendation comin' right up.

Oh, those poor orphans!

What a great series; Lemony Snicket's tales of the Baudelaire children is wonderfully dark and dangerous.

Quick, run out and buy "Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning", the first in the series.

Sit alone in a dark house and read it all the way through.
Cuddle up on a couch with a small candle burning in the background for effect and dive in.

It'll only take an hour and a half (or less) and two cups of tea and you'll be a fan, too!

The writing style and pictures put in my mind of Edward Gorey.
Now there's another author who you should acquaint yourself with if creepy crawly tales about tots amuses you.

7 comments:

Ian Lidster said...

Thank you for the reading hints, Tai. I am only familiar with Lemony Snickett via the movie which I understand fans of the writer were not thrilled with.
In answer to your query on whether or not drug addiction is considered a 'disease'. When I was running and counselling at the recovery centre, we always regarded it as a disease, with the attitude "a drug is a drug is a drug" whether it's heroin or booze. Also, there is the fact that legal authorities and health authorities don't like to acknowledge, and that is not everyone who uses a drug, even heroin, becomes addicted to it. Mind you, if you do get addicted it's a horrible one to kick, so why take the chance?

Cheers, Ian

Grant said...

I'm reading Will Christopher Baer now. He's good, but in a more hardcore hard-boiled kind of way. Think of 'Sin City in novel form, and you're on the right track.

Anonymous said...

Hi Liked reading through your blog.You have a nice blog .
Thanks for sharing.
Wish you well

limpy99 said...

If I wasn't married I'd seriously be on bended knee right now. Gorey is one of my favorite artists. At one time I had about three copies of "The Gashlycrumb Tinies". "K is for Kate who was struck with an axe"

And my son and I are currently working our way through Book 10 of the Lemony Snicket series.

You rock!

Tim Rice said...

These do sound interesting. Now if only I had the time to read!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only adult that reads their kids books! Love that series! The Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo are also very good! Glad your blog came back!

Josh said...

I heard the last of the books is coming. Guess it is about time I started them.