Tuesday, June 13, 2006

To read a poet.


"My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends-
It gives a lovely light!"

Familiar, yes?

It's Edna St. Vincent Millay's.
One of the most famous poets of the Jazz Age...she smoked in public, had affairs with men and women, and generally rocked the early 1900's all the way through to 1950 when a tragic fall ended her life.

I don't know a lot about poets...and though it could be said that I like poetry, it's a rare occasion that would find me purchasing a book of poems.
Thus, when I came across a biography of a modern poet at the library I thought, "Well, I've got nothing else to do."

What a wonderful, moving surprise of a book.

It's Nancy Milford's "Savage Beauty."

I don't just recommend it as a book about a poet, or a book about an interesting women: it is unto itself a fascinating look into the world at that time; perched as it was between wars that engulfed the world.

And Miss Millay didn't just write within her time, she wrote for all of our times.

This book was so artfully written, I really do recommend it based on that alone...and I'll leave you with this:

I had a little Sorrow,
Born of a little Sin,
I found a room all damp with gloom
And shut us all within;
And, "Little Sorrow, weep," said I;
"And, Little Sin, pray to God to die,
And I upon the floor will lie
And think how bad I've been!"

Alas for pious planning--
It mattered not a whit!
As far as gloom went in that room,
The lamp might have been lit!
My Little Sorrow would not weep,
My little Sin would go to sleep--
To save my soul I could not keep
My graceless mind on it!

So I got up in anger,
And took a book I had,
And put a ribbon in my hair
To please a passing lad,
And, "One thing there's no getting by--
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

~Edna St. Vincent Millay

17 comments:

kimber said...

She's one of my favorite poets! And have you read 'Hons & Rebels'? It's a biography of the Mitford sisters -- you'd love it!

Tai said...

Mitford,Mitford...didn't she write about the funeral business in America?
You lent it to me, that's right!
Well, int that case, I'm sure I WOULD love it.
I'll look for it at my local library.

BostonPobble said...

As a Millay fan, a historical geek, and an avid reader, I thank you for the recommendation! :)

Ian Lidster said...

I love Edna St. Vincent Millay, and not just because I'm a former English teacher. Frankly I think teaching poetry to school kids is wrongheaded. You have to have lived a bit of life to learn to love poetry. I like it more all the time. If you want to look at another intriguing female poet, check out the late English poet, Stevie Smith. I guarantee you'll like her if you like Millay.

Raincouver said...

Speaking of women in between wars... first time at Storyeum yesterday... they did a good job at addressing women's suffrage and other injustices of the past. But it was done in a positive way, showing how vancouver has grown to be an inclusive and progressive society. I wonder who could qualify as the Edna of our days?

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Sounds very interesting. I think that time period is fascinating.

By the way, really liked your balcony garden! I wish I had one.

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai


"My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends-
It gives a lovely light!"


I heard this just the other day on the Science Channel of all places...

M. Santos said...

great post- while not too familiar with poets beyond the mandatory bar fly versions of the beats, I do love poetry; and anything that gets people reading, talking, and thinking is a big step forward.
ms

Zambo said...

Hey Tai!

She sounds like a pretty fascinating lady!

Thanks for sharing your find with us!

I hope all is well.

Take care out there!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

Grant said...

It's no "There once was a man from Nantucket", but I guess it'll have to do. I've always been partial to Emily myself.

Ike said...

hey, i linked you today after i finally figured out how....

fjl said...

Thanks for this interesting opinion. I also love the poets of this era!

Jay Noel said...

Edna is hot.n

Phil said...

That does look like a fascinating book. I may just try it.

Lowry said...

Great poem, and it's true, there is no room in life for guilt.

Tim Rice said...

She sounds like quite a person as well as poet.

Dr. Deb said...

Great stuff!