Saturday, June 10, 2006

Not bad for $40 bucks!

This was it. The 'before' pic of my balcony garden. Truthfully, it's just a few leftovers from last year.











Not much too it!





So I bought me some plants. This here pitiful little thing was the last of a sale for Clematis...the saleswoman actually just gave this to me; so poor are it's prospects. I've never grown one before, but 'free' is a hard bargain to walk on by!



I put down some cut-open garbage bags to make the potting mess a little more containable.
Once you're finished, it's short work to pick up the bags and toss them; loose dirt and all.





It's really not a very big space to work in...that wee island of uncluttered black plastic was just enough room for me to sit crosslegged to pot everything up.
I decided to do a succulent 'mini-garden'...I've never been overly fond of sedums until recently so this is rather new to me. I think this looks alright, the small white rocks sort of add a structual element too the over all look. (ooh, don't I just sound like I know what I'm talking about!)
I took the wee snapped off bits and made an even minier mini-garden. It might not take, but that's okay.


Et voila! Okay, you're right. My balconey is stained. But darn it all, can't I continue to live in the fantasy that time has worked it's magic and given my balcony a fine patina?

I planted Nicotiana, geraniums...some lovely pink and white cosmos and something else I don't remember the name of.
Oh, and the succulents of course; one of the varieties is called 'Edge of Night', which is lovely.
There's also a 'wind flower' (Japanese Anenome?) that's not in bloom yet; it has delicate pink nodding flowers.
When I get around to it, I'm going to put in some night scented stock as well, for it's delicious perfume...and maybe some herbs.

It's not exactly the 'Tuileries', but it's mine!

17 comments:

Belizegial said...

Hey Tai,

I like your balcony garden so it can't be all that bad, heheh. I say $40 bucks well spent,lol.

Just checking in to see what's up. It's the start of the hurricane season over here in the tropics and the weather is kinda muggy at this time with promise of rain later tonite.

Trying to get some blog time in between my daughter's i'ming. So I am on again, off again. Take care Tai.

Enid

Zambo said...

Hey Tai!

Looks like you've had a busy weekend so far!

Your balcony garden is looking pretty sweet!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Take care out there!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

kimber said...

It's lovely! And I like the fine patina of your balcony (although, if you were so inclined, you could cover the spots with large tiles.... just an idea....) I especially love the succulents, but I've always been a big fan of them!

And where did you get the metal lantern? Why have I never noticed it before? It's great!

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai

It's quite lovely, and a well spent 40$, I do indeed have "a love of all things that grow." I have an old 55 gallon aquarium (no fish) which is going to be my next planting project, turning it into a terrarium. I haven't decided what motif to go with yet (Japanesse? Desert? etc.) I suppose that will be decided when I go to the greenhouse and see what they have...

BostonPobble said...

What a lovely space you've created for yourself. Want to come hook me up? I've got forty bucks...

Ian Lidster said...

Gardening puts the soul in touch with the higher verities, so very good at all levels that you are doing what you are doing. Now, I have found that the key to clematises (clemati?) is to leave the heads in the sun, but shade the roots. We pissed around with them for years to no avail, until we followed that simple rule. This year we have clematises that boast blossoms the size of bread-and-butter plates. Healthy gardening, Tai.

fjl said...

My blogger issues are still going on. No pictures grrr. I know what you feel about the potted plants. May they forever bloom x

Lindsey said...

I have a tendency to kill all plants. I'm glad you know what you're doing.

geeksters said...

Your Italian villa looks fabulous.

Dr. Deb said...

I love this time of year, when planting and gardening occur. It is so healing and fun for me. Sounds like it is for you too.

Mz.Elle said...

I think it looks beautiful:)

Crazy Me said...

Very pretty! I just had to throw out a ton of plants because I forgot to water them and they all died. I suck!

Wendy C. said...

...and it's lovely!

Josh said...

Wow, you have a green thumb. Looks fabulous. Spider girl and you need to come down and help me on my yard.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I tried to comment here the other day, but blogger wouldn't let me. I love puttering around with these plants, wish I had more time for it. Nice job on the patio oasis!

Ike said...

Look at you, Miss Green Thumb! And all for 40 bucks in a day. Rachel Ray would be so proud that you were able to pull off the foliage equivalent of her food concept.

blackcrag said...

Plants make a home more inviting. I miss my house plants.

You need a bigger balcony, hn, so you can have a party welcoming your new plants.