Sunday, June 18, 2006

Colour me squeamish.

I've eaten a good many 'odd' things in my day...alligator, bear and snake for instance.

But I believe I will have to draw the line at the recipe I recently came across in M.F.K Fisher's "The Art of Eating".
(The book itself is so divine though. I recommend it strongly for anyone interested in some of the most beautiful prose I think ever written about food and love and travel.)

So here it is, in all it's congealing glory; pictures NOT inlcuded for which I think you'll thank me.
(Really, if you have a sensitive constitution...turn back now!)

CALF'S HEAD A LA TORTUE

Bone, blanch and trim a calf's head, cut it up into large scollops, keep the ears whole, neatly trim the pieces, and toss them in the juice of a lemon; put them in a stewpan, with carrot, onion, celery, half a bottle of Madeira or sherry, and two large ladlefuls of good stock; cover with a well-buttered stiff paper, and put on the lid; set the whole to braize on the stove for about two hours.

When the pieces of calf's head are done, drain them on a napkin, and afterwards dish them up, in the form of a close wreath, round the base of a fried bread croustade; place the ears at the ends and on the flanks: if the party be large, two extra ears should be procured, as the four make the dish look much handsomer: next, place the tongue, cut down it's centre, and spread out on top of the croustade; on this put the brains, which must be kept whole and white, and round these, on the croustade, should be stuck six ornamental silver skewers, garnished with a double cocks-comb, a large mushroom, a quenelle, a truffle, and a large crayfish; sauce around with a well made sauce a la Tortue; garnish the dish round between the spaces of the ears with four larded and glazed sweetbreads, and eight decorated quenelles, and send to table.


I was sort of okay until the bit about the brains. *

Now, I do realize that tongue and brains are recognized members of some very important dishes.
But something deep inside me rebels at the thought.
(Truth be told, it's not that deep inside me. It's right at the surface in fact.)

Oh, and if anyone knows what a cocks-comb is for sure, please let me know. Extra points for the explanation of a 'double' cocks-comb.









*This reminds me of the one and only time I watched an episode of "Fear Factor".
The participants had to eat a cow's muzzle.
That was promptly the end of my contribution to the ratings for that show.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

WTF ???

Anonymous said...

rooster skin. yum.

Spider Walk said...

I am not too sure about most of the recipe, but the well-buttered stiff paper really has me licking my lips!

blackcrag said...

Well, then. Calf's ears, brains and tongue. I've had tongue before. I doubt I'll be having it again.

The advantage to eating brains is the next time someone calls you brainless you can tell them, "No, actually, I ate some last night."

That would certainly shut them up.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I like that it has such a lavish presentation. Let's make it together. I'll drink the other half of the sherry and read the instructions to you while you work.

Jay Noel said...

I'd rather NOT know what a double cocks-comb is.

Spider Girl said...

Procure extra ears? Points for attention to detail I guess?

Well, you know me, I'm a vegetarian when it suits me, and I'm afraid it would suit me if someone served THAT.

When I was in Portugal I was once in a cafeteria/grocery store and they had a whole decorated pig with glaze and flowers (yes, apple in mouth) by the cash register. If you asked nicely, the cashier would slice bits of it off for you.

But I declined. :)

Dagoth said...

Hi Tia

If "you are what you eat" I don't think I'll be trying this any time soon...

The only cocks-comb's I know of are the red part on the top of a chickens head (and under it's chin) and some of them are double (two rows side by side)...

Lily said...

Oh my.

Mz.Elle said...

Where's my bucket? yuck. I can't watch Fear Factor for that reason either.

My great grandma used to make head cheese and store the head in the ice box til she was ready to boil it up. Eww.

Ian Lidster said...

Cockscomb is a flower that looks like a rooster's comb. I guess a double would be a double bloom. Sorry, dear Tai, but so prosaic is a word that sounds just ever so slightly smutty. Damn. Otherwise, the one that made me cringe was the guy on the Travel Channel who had to scarf sheep's eyeballs less he offend the Berber Chief who was entertaining him. Not nice. And, I never want to consider what goes into wieners, because I like them.

Heidi said...

Well it's a good thing I don't have much of an appetite these days..That is some nasty stuff!

David Amulet said...

Yikes. Doesn't sound good to me. I did eat rattlesnake out west once, and it wasn't bad.

Yes, I thought it tasted like chicken.

-- david

tsduff said...

In Iceland they enjoy sheeps head - I don't think I'll be partaking of this delicacy. Yucky doodles! I've had rattlesnake sauteed in butter, but I think that is about the most exotic thing to date. I refuse to eat snails, but love sushi, including bbq'd eel. Thanks for the reference - I'd like to check out that book.

Cock's comb is the rooster's "comb" which runs atop his head. gross!

M. Santos said...

The joys of eating- I too have partaken of some weird stuff only to be pleasantly surprised. My trip to the Philippines years ago- the sing-song cry in the morning by the balut vendors-something like the little music we hear from the ice cream truck- and the guys walking down the street hollering something that translates to "monkey on a stick".
But even I draw the line at somethings, even if it is only a flower- sorry Ian.