Sunday, May 07, 2006

To Miss Carr, with thanks.

Miss Emily Carr.
Born December 13, 1871 in Victoria, British Columbia.

What an interesting, unexpected woman she was.
She traveled to San Francisco, Paris and London during the turn of the century, painting and learning as she went.

Upon her return to Victoria in 1913, she found herself very poor and in need of an income that her art work just didn't supply. She lived in a world that frequently shunned artists and were even less likely to be interested in women artists that had a dozen dogs and a monkey named 'Woo' that she would carriage around on the old streets.

She eventually found some relief while travelling and painting around British Columbia (in between chasing after her tenants whom it seemed she generally disliked).
She painted and camped through "Gold Stream Park" just outside of Victoria in her old caravan, all the way to remote First Nations villages of the Queen Charlotte Island (or Haida Gwaii).
Generally, she would be ferried out to those hidden ghost-villages and left with her camping gear and crumbling totem poles; determined to seek her god alone.

Eventually, Canada's other major contributors to the world of art, the Group of Seven, met with Miss Carr; to all of their delights they found kindred spirits in each.
She and Lawren Harris corresponded till death.

"Scorned as Timber.
Beloved of the Sky" 1935

I honestly didn't like her works all that much.
I found them generally to stark.
To abstract for my palate.
I recognized her as an important figure in not only art history, but the history of Canada and the history of women.
I just didn't really feel that I needed to love her art.

After several heart attacks, Emily found it more and more difficult to travel and paint (both of which were her passions), so she turned to words.
It was if, despite her ailing, she could not cease to create...to give room for that force bursting for release.
And that's how I finally 'met' Miss Carr...through her art of words.

From her journals, "Hundreds and Thousands".

"...What most attracts me in those wild, lawless, deep, solitary places? First, nobody goes there. Why? Few have anything to go for. The loneliness repels them, the density, the unsafe hidden footing, the dank smells, the great quiet, the mystery, the general mix-up (tangle, growth, what may be hidden there), the insect life. They are repelled by the awful solemnity of the age-old trees, with the wisdom of all their years of growth looking down upon you, making you feel perfectly infinitesimal--their overpowering weight, their groanings and creakings, mutterings and sighings--the rot and decay of the old ones--the toadstools and slugs among the upturned, rotting roots of those that have fallen, reminding one of the perishableness of even those slow-maturing, much enduring growths.
No, to the average woman and to the average man, (unless he goes there to kill, to hunt or to destory the forest for utility) the forest jungle is a closed book. In the abstract people may say they love it but they do not prove it by entering it and breathing its life. They stay outside and talk about its beauty. This is bad for them but it is good for the few who do enter because the holiness and quiet is unbroken."


"Forest" 1932 "Big Raven" 1931





And then I understood what she was painting. The book I read of hers astounded me. I didn't actually need to see her paintings and sketches, she was describing her yearning energy and deep rooted passion of her world with words instead of paint.

I can 'SEE' her art now...at last it says something to me.
The strokes of bright living green turning upwards to the swirling blue of the sky.
The heavy musty gray of old totems, thick with moss and decay.

At last.

Now I can truly appreciate Emily Carr.

She has given something to all of us in her passion for the dark and green and wild places of British Columbia.

If there was anyone that could make me feel so happy to live in the wet, dripping rain forest of fecundity, it is her.






P.S.
I should mention that the last picture is of a statue of Miss Carr recently placed in Vancouver. It includes her monkey ('Woo'), her horse and one of her loved dogs.
For you Vancouver area folk, it's at the corner of Granville and 7th (or is it 6th? One of them, anyway!)

19 comments:

Jo said...

Tai, what an interesting post. Emily Carr is a treasure. Have you ever been to her "House of All Sorts" in Victoria?

I have deleted my blog because compared to all the fabulous blogs out there I really had nothing interesting to say. Also I kept being visited by some "cranky" women who are regularly on another blog. But I will come back to visit you from time to time. You're fun.

Josie

Tenacious T said...

Really awesome post. Thanks for sharing Miss Carr. What an extraordinary woman. One of those you want to spend time with.

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai

Excellent post, definately worth the wait!

People must have considered her odd to go off and do the things she did, especially in her time.

Seems freedom is only limited to the will of one's mind...

Ian Lidster said...

I'll tell you a tale about Miss Carr that will make you cringe. Many years ago -- about the mid-1950s -- my mother went to pay a call on the elderly lady up the street. Her husband had recently died, so she was moving. Burnaby was rural in those days and Phoebe, the lady in question, had a big bonfire going. Phoebe's family had grown up next door to Emily in Victoria, and Emily had been a good friend of hers. On the day in question, my mother noticed she was throwing a bunch of pictures, sketches, etc. on the fire. My mother unsuccessfully tried to retrieve them and said, "Those are quite beautiful, why are you burning them?" To which Phoebe replied, "Oh that's just some old junk that Emily gave me years ago, and I wanted to get rid of them." Sacre bleu. That's like using a Modigliani to line your birdcage. Anyway, my dear friend, a really nice blog.

tsduff said...

You have made a new fan of Emily Carr. I love the Raven picture - and from the information you provided she sounds like an awesome woman. Thanks for the introduction :-)

kimber said...

Emily Carr understood the secretive interior of the forest and recognized that enigmatic quality that so often vanishes with human intrusion. She saw the woods as a wild thing sees the woods, and her triumph was in capturing that quality without taming it. Within the layers of pigment and oil, there is an essence remeniscent of William Blake, a terrestrial darkness promising the salvation of light, and sometimes I suspect that Emily Carr claimed a kinship to the wilderness which I’ve let slip away. I've grown to admire her -- being surrounded by the subjects of her paintings, I've taken her work for granted for far too long.

Zambo said...

What Kimber said...

But seriously, that was a great tribute to a cool lady...and her monkey!

Good work, Tai!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

Pol* said...

I'm with Kimber too! We used to revel in being right in the wetness and green and the deep damp smells and the deep shady colours, just to be in it..... guess you had to be there. Hey you were there!!!!!

Spider Girl said...

I love Emily Carr's art and liked it even as a child on our school trip to the Victoria Gallery.

But more than her painting, I adore her writing.

Last year at the Filberg Festival, I met a performance artist who "was" Emily Carr--her painting was passably similar and she did readings from her books. A pleasure to meet!

My great-auntie as a child used to see Emily Carr walking about Victoria dressed all in black and wheeling her monkey in a baby carriage. The kids thought she was a little bit kooky.

Jean said...

Quelle vie dans ce regard !!!

Dr. Deb said...

Oh did know her, but I love her work. I learned something very valuable today from your post. Many thanks!
Deb @
http://drdeborahserani.blogspot.com/

Dr. Deb said...

make that didn't instead of did.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I'm glad to get to read this, learn something. I'm going to look for this book. Thanks!

Mz.Elle said...

I LOVE Emily Carr,with all my heart.

Jay Noel said...

Fascinating. I didn't know very much about Emily Carr at all. Anyone who owns a monkey has got to be very artsy.

Supafab said...

I love Emily Carr! I studied Art History in University and wrote a 20 page essay on her. She is awesome!!

fjl said...

A very interesting looking personality. Thanks for sharing this. The artists of this era had to fight brokenheartedness induced by poverty.

Mad Ethel said...

Wow. Outstanding post. Her name sounds familiar, and after reading your post I am committing to learning more about her. I liked the first painting of the tree you posted, the others were so-so. But I, like you, connected on a different and literary level. Wow. And now I understand too.

Unknown said...

I love Emily Carr too! I live one block from the statue on 7th and Granville. Do you know why that location was chosen for the statue?