Monday, May 01, 2006

Happy May 1st! Merry Beltain!

I looked for May 1st images and came up with this.

So, uh...get on your bike and ride?

Yeah. I don't get the relevancy either.

Well anyway, I crossed the border on Sunday.

Yup, went down into the ol' United States of America.
They almost didn't let me in.
(I can hardly blame them.)
I got pulled inside and my vehicle inspected.

When the officer returned from searching my car he completed asking me some rather pointless questions and then he looked at me straight in the eye and said, "Well, I can't in good conscience allow you to cross the border with a copy of the 'Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood' in your possession."
It took me half a second before replying calmly "Yes, I can understand your concern. The book wasn't that good, and the movie was worse."

A border guard with a sense of humour!
Cool.
(And I'm pretty sure he would have had a hardy laugh while shooting me too, but fortunately I didn't find out!)

P.S.
Just in case you were wondering!

I was in historic Fairhaven, just in time for "Dirty Dan Days", complete with an uphill piano race.
(The ferry to Alaska can be caught from here.)











Tiny, flat little Edison in the
Skagit Valley.
Known for the hordes of bikers that gather at the
'Longhorn' pub for the amazing oysters!






And through the beautiful Larrabee National Park:

19 comments:

Tim Rice said...

I like that bike picture. It fits.

I wonder what it would be like to have a world without borders. Borders are so distasteful so many times.

Spider Girl said...

Happy Beltane!

And I'm glad the border guard wasn't like that nasty fellow with NO sense of humour we encountered who had grave suspicions concerning our newspaper in the back-seat. :)

Outdoorsy Girl said...

haha. Well, I'm glad that you didn't have to find out about the shooting either!

Hope you had a great time!

kimber said...

Happy Beltane!

Did he ask you for a passport? 'Cause that's what almost kept me out of Point Roberts a few months ago -- the border guard only let me in because he was feeling benevolant that day. Goodness, the evil things one could do in Point Roberts! Mowahahahaha! *rolls eyes*

Anonymous said...

That is a pretty good joke though. And he kind of had a point.

JJ said...

I didn't care for the book either. I may give it another try one day. Your pictures are lovely!

Mathieu said...

I want to go in that park...

Happy Beltain too!

nicki said...

great pictures :) Sometimes border guards can be the WORST...ugh..you're lucky you got one with a sence of haha :)

tsduff said...

Pictures are breathtaking - I want to be one of the bikers hanging out at the Oyster bar... ! Sounds fun

Grant said...

Did the guard at least remember to frisk you for moose?

BostonPobble said...

Blessed Be and Happy Beltane (a little late.) I'm shocked the border guard on our side had a sense of humor. Don't look for him next time. He is currently being shipped somewhere for reprogramming.

Mz.Elle said...

oooh very pretty.
My hubby used to stop in Edison for work all the time..

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai...Happy Beltain...oh I can see it now!

BORDER GUARD INTERROGATION REPORT:
REASON FOR RACIAL PROFILING:
Suspect A.K.A. "Fearless Tai"
Dark Hair (possible Middle Eastern descent)
CIA Report: Suspect recently observed learning to fly light aircraft.
VIOLATIONS:
1.) Suspect attempted to smuggle weapon into country (sword balanced on top of head.)
2.) Suspect attempted to smuggle dangerous non-indiginous species into country (she had a whole bunch of Mutha-fuckin snakes!)
3.) Suspect attempted to smuggle subversive literature into country (Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Meant to undermine moral fibre of american citizens, also see: Presidents book burning list).

Tai said...

Ahem.
Dagoth.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That was WAY funny.

Grant.
I left the moose at home, but there's nothing like a good frisking!

Wendy C. said...

That is a cute story about the fellow at border patrol...I wonder where did you cross? (My Pop patrols the border at Calais, Maine)

Tai said...

Wendy...I crossed at the 'Peace Arch' crossing.
White Rock, B.C. to Blaine, Washington.
Far far from Maine!

Josh said...

You have come to spread your trickery and he let you through. Ohhh noooo!

HAHAHa Hope you have fun.

Jean said...

And through the beautiful Larrabee National Park

Quelle belle photo !
Un vrai tableau de peintre !

dragonflyfilly said...

i want to go to Fairhaven! - but border guards scare me!!!

looks like you had a fab time...and BY THE WAY, i AM a spinster, no really, check out my September '05 posts...

cheers for now,
pj