Monday, May 29, 2006

I need covet no longer!


This was my highly anticipated purchase this weekend!
Spider first introduced me to the French butter crock last year and I've coveted hers ever since.
It's such a clever idea!
Before the age of refrigeration, butter was often kept in earthenware pots large and small, sometimes submerged in water. The modern water-submerged butter crock is thought to have first appeared in France in the Middle Ages, and many (not all!) French have been using them since.
The water creates an airtight seal that preserves the freshness of the butter while keeping it at room temperature.

I love my handmade butter crock. *


*As a P.S...Darrel Hancock is the talented artist that created my beautiful and functional butter crock.
He is from Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada.
Here's his website!
Darrel Hancock
Check out his beautiful work!

21 comments:

Mathieu said...

I need that.

JM said...

I love butter!!! Nothing like butter on crab cakes, lobster, and bread.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I've never heard of this! Love those timeless inventions; who will make anything today that will be handy 1000 years from now?! Where did you find your coveted purchase?

Heather said...

Oh! It is soo pretty! I've never heard of such a thing but now, I want one...mmmmmmm butter.

kimber said...

Beeeeeeeeeautiful! :D

Grant said...

And you need this why? Didn't Canada learn to use electricity from us? Are you blogging via smoke signals? :p

Mz.Elle said...

That is gorgeous!!
Where oh where did you find it?

Tai said...

Hey G'Girl, I got it at at a pottery shop on Vancouver's "Granville Island", made by an aritsan from Vancouver Island.

Grant, I've sent a moose to find you.
Beware.

Dagoth said...

"WHAT A CROCK!!!"......"of butter"..:)

Jay Noel said...

I've been surrounded by crocks all my life, but never one so delicious.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

That's pretty cool! There is nothing like fresh butter and not the stick kind either.

Also, your bear pics are cool! I am jealous! Why don't they love me and pose for me when I see them? :(

Spider Walk said...

I have never seen or heard of one before! Thanks for edumacating me :)

nicki said...

those butter crocks are the BEST!!! I used to work in a really cute little kitchen store...and we had the cutest ones...it was one of the first things i bought there...sadly....its packed away in storage at the moment :(

Mz.Elle said...

Ohh thanks Darlin'!
I shall be searching one out for myself:)

Lily said...

Very cool! :)

Mad Ethel said...

I WANT ONE!!! How do I get it? I'll try googling that shop first.

Mad Ethel said...

Thanks for the info. I don't know if you've ever been to Chattanooga before but we have tons of pottery and art shops. I have a sneaky suspicion you'd love it around here. I'll definitely check those shops out for one. Thanks!

Tim Rice said...

That's a neat butter crock and how it's used.

tsduff said...

I think you might have me hooked. I insist upon butter being room temperature - unlike some folks who prefer it rock hard and impossible to cut. Ummm - Icelandic butter in a crock...

dragonflyfilly said...

i too have not heard of this, hmmmmm, sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

So I was looking for a butter bell and instead I found a Canadian with fanciful blog - I've not found a local potter yet and sadly yours dosen't seem to offer his wares via the web - my loss. On with the search....

Toast and Croutons!