Thursday, April 10, 2008

New word!

"AWKWEIRD"

You can use it for describing how you feel when you've just tripped into a large open pit that is guaranteed to make everyone involved feel 'awkweird'.

For instance:

You go out to a great get-together for a co-worker on Friday night. Monday morning you run into the one person in the office who was specifically NOT invited * forget, and then proceed to blab away about how much fun it was and what a great restaurant you dined at.

Your faux pas is made blindingly clear by the blank and stunned look on the person's face and the flat, "Oh. That sounds nice."

This moment is followed closely by you stuttering "Uh, well, it was really nothing much. Just spur of the moment. Really. Kinda lame. Uh."

Say it with me, "AWKWEIRD!" **




* Yes, I work in an environment where some people are excluded from group 'after work' occasions. I don't like it so much, but there you go.
All the office politics were in place before I ever arrived and I try to keep my head down and not get involved. But I guess I am involved.
It rather sounds like I'm trying to excuse myself here from rather bad behaviour, doesn't it. I suppose I am.
I kind of understand WHY she's not invited, she's not very well liked in general though I have nothing against her personally.
Perhaps I should just decline going to those parties from now on. It might assuage my guilt.


** No, fortunately, it wasn't me. One of the 'invited' guests accidentally mentioned it to the uninvited co-worker. I felt bad for her. For both of them, as a matter of fact.

16 comments:

Ian Lidster said...

One of those 'uh-oh' moments. We've certainly all had them. I like the word.

Grant said...

I'm the guy who always got excluded at my last place. Nobody at my current place socializes, so all the stuff's the same now.

kimber said...

Ah, the taste of foot.

Mz.Elle said...

Awww me too!
I do crap like that all the time...

geewits said...

yikes. I'm glad it wasn't you.

Janice Thomson said...

I have made the odd blunder too - once I ask a girl whom I knew when her baby was due - she replied she wasn't pregnant - oops. On the good side it could have helped her to lose the weight she had gained - six months later she was looking very svelte :)

jmb said...

Oh that was ugly. I know it is nothing to do with you but it probably would be better to invite her and she probably wouldn't come anyway. Well actually there is no simple solution and these things always get out anyway, sooner or later.
Be glad it wasn't you.

Phil said...

Adulthood doesn't take us as far away from the social cliques of high school as we think does it?

Phil said...

I guess that means that at least you're one of the cool kids. Did you all sit in the back of the bus on the way there?

Unknown said...

I have added awkweird to my vocabulary (and spell checker). The cartoon is great. I’m emailing it to my wine connoisseur son.

BostonPobble said...

Definitely awkweird! Office politics lend themselves to awkweirdness, though. Good luck with the guilt thing; it's a bitch, ain't it?

Jo said...

Tai, I work in an office just like that. BC Government employees, right? I decided because of the exclusionary practices of some people (can you say grade eight?) that I don't attend any after work social functions unless everyone is invited. That way I am not associated with any one particular group, and I don't get myself into awkweird situations afterwards.

Big Brother said...

Talk about putting your foot in our mouth and sucking the lint out from between the toes. ;o)

the walking man said...

Tai,
I've seen you around enough to want to come and walk about your house for a bit.

No I am not feeling awkweird in admitting I just opened the door and came through...(I left your sleeping chamber door closed though. That would be freaky with out the awk in front of it.)

Personally when I had a job 'lo those many years ago, I refused to socialize with anyone from them.

8-12 hours a day of them was enough for me. I still occasionally get a call from the best man there and we talk amicably but beyond that...*shrug* leave me out, it's fine because as their union steward I knew where the talk was going to go and I did all the talking I wanted about work and management when I was getting paid for it.

besides the places they liked to hang out would have been awkweird for a very married man.

Peace

TWM

Hermes said...

You need to invite that one person out for a coffee. It may put you into the "outcast" category but it will feel better in the end.

Jazz said...

Um. Ouch.

But I love the word!