Monday, March 03, 2008

Can you see the light?

In 1995, I was dating the bass guitarist for the Canadian based "Jeff Healey Band". I went to Toronto to visit Joe, and ended up spending lots of time with Jeff as well.

That was the same summer they opened for the Rolling Stones benefit concert at RPM, and as a result, I ended spending lots of time with Mick and Keith, too.

Jeff was always extremely welcoming. I was included in all the band activities, and he had Joe and I over for dinner several times. I was introduced to all his cats (he had 3) and he always made sure I was comfortable and happy. I was at the photo shoot for the album they put out that year (it's the picture in the corner) and attended a variety of band functions always feeling like an honoured guest.
The Jeff Healey Band was the recipient of Juno awards, Grammy nominations and chart topping singles, yet I don't recall Jeff ever talking about them. Everything Jeff did was focused on music and people and enjoying both, he never seemed to be concerned about the fame.

He was funny and irreverent, crass and thoughtful.
He loved Baby Duck, that cheap Canadian champagne that is more sugar than alcohol. He used to tease me by ordering it in fine restaurants or calling out for it in the middle of a set. "Tai, bring on the Baby Duck!"

I recall threading our way through a hotel lounge once, Jeff and Joe on each arm. Despite being blind, Jeff dragged us through the cluttered reception area never once bumping into a single chair or coffee table and calling back for us to hurry up.

A few years later, I saw Jeff playing trumpet for his other band, "The Jazz Wizards". He loved everything about jazz, and had a radio show on the CBC where he got to talk about his love for this music (and his amazing collection of jazz records) to his hearts content.

He died yesterday, from cancer. He was only 41. His wife and children remain, as well as his musical mark on the world.

30 comments:

Sugar. said...

Oh Tai, I am so sorry to hear that. What wonderful memories to cherish and a wonderful tribute to a remarkable man.

kimber said...

Tai, when I heard about Jeff Healey's death this morning, I came here. I knew you'd have posted a more meaningful tribute to his life than any of the nameless, faceless, anonymous media outlets, and I wasn't wrong. Thank you for your beautiful memories of a musician, and thank you for being you. I love you, sister; I never get around to saying that at the right time, so I'll say it now.

BostonPobble said...

This a beautiful, sad, loving, moving post to a man whose music deserves it ~ and whose friendship and soul apparently deserves it even more. Thanks for sharing.

Ian Lidster said...

A happy/sad reminiscence, and so thoughtfully expressed. Thank you for that, Tai.

Smalltown RN said...

I just read about his passing this morning...I was so shocked...I had know idea about your connection...how wonderful for you that you have these terrific memories...thank you so much for sharing such a personal part of your life and his with us....

blackcrag said...

I read about his passing last night and thought of you.

Cover to Cover was a great album. He was a great musician. I remember a show he did in Campbell River. He played the show, and during the break between sets, he stayed on stage by himself and just played for the love of it.

Hermes said...

I never got to see even one of his shows. But even at the height of his fame, he just loved to play. Even small venues in small towns. I have respect for famous people that obviously love what they do and aren't just living the life of a rock star. I had no idea he was even sick. My condolences for the loss of an olld friend and a musician of merit, in my books anyway.

Janice Thomson said...

What a wonderful tribute Tai. Thank you for sharing your memories of this talented man, with us.

Heather said...

What a sad, sad thing and such a loss to our Canadian culture. Your post did him well Tai.

H

geewits said...

Oh no. I always loved Jeff Healey. I did not know he had died. How lucky for you to have met such a talented performer. My heart goes out to his family, especially his very young son.

Spider Girl said...

I was thinking about you and him today. Tai.

I'm so glad I got to meet him, through you. He was a really nice person.

Anonymous said...

An amazing tribute; and I agree, better than the media could express, as they don't have that personal edge. You're amazing and you were blessed to have this chapter in your life, as they were blessed to have been a part of yours.
Sorry for your loss; and especially, condolences to his family and all those that loved him.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I am sorry to hear of his passing at such a young age. His music legacy is a wonderful one. Thanks for sharing your memories with us and showing us the person he was.

CrackerLilo said...

*hug* I didn't know you loved him and his music so much. I didn't know he'd dealt with cancer all his life, either. 41 years--what a long time to hurt, what a short time to live. It's good that he could have the impact on you and others that he did, however.

I'm sorry. I know these things hurt.

Mz.Elle said...

I was so sad when I learned of his death:(
This is such a wonderful tribute.
I'm sorry for your loss.

furiousBall said...

very sad, wish there were more musicians like Jeff and ever more people too

Jazz said...

I was shocked when I heard. I can't believe he's gone...

limpy99 said...

That was bad news, although, for what it's worth, your coolness factor just expanded exponentially.

I still think he should have gotten an Oscar for 'Roadhouse'

Joe said...

I read about this this morning, and I thought about what a big loss it was to the music world. Thanks for reminding us that it was a loss to the world in general.

Big Brother said...

We've lost a talented musician and what's more important, a great human being. Very nice tribute to a wonderful Canadian, Tai

Jocelyn said...

Oh, no. Dang it.

You got me.

Lindsey said...

Awwww. Well I'm glad you got to get to know him so that you could spread the word about what a great guy he really was.

Pol* said...

I was so sad when I heard that on the radio. I stopped and thought of you, and what you must be feeling. Thanks to you I got to meet him, he seemed very "real", and your words now make that more so.

Unknown said...

You’ve written a touching memorial to Jeff, Tai.

Russell said...

Sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. Sounds like a very special person.

People talk about the quality of life as opposed to the quantity of it. However, we would like to have both. Always good to remember the good times and I enjoyed reading your post about some of your eperiences with him.

Take care and thanks for sharing.

Crazy Me said...

Nothing to say except for that really sucks.

Jo said...

Tai, Have you ever heard Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jeff Healey do "Little Sister"? It's amazing. And now they're both gone.

What a beautiful tribute you have done for him.

Hageltoast said...

Lovely post, it's always a shame when people die young.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Oooo, I loved the Jeff Healey Band! It was so sad to learn on his untimely passing. Of course, I had no idea of your connection to him! Thank you for sharing your story of him. Now we can see that he was not only a talented artist, but a great guy.

Preity Angel... said...

Thats very nice, sad story... thank for sharing with all of us.