Monday, November 19, 2007

All's quiet over here.

After the drama of last weekend, I'm pleased to say that this week and end has been quiet. No trees falling, no crushed cars and no interviews.
Peace has returned.

Due to last weeks incident, I have been reflecting on my car luck ("carma"?). Out of 5 cars I've owned, all but one has suffered the slings and arrows.
One of my vehicles (an older Honda Prelude) was stolen 2 twice and broken into more times than I can count.
Some desperate person even peeled the passenger door away from the frame of the poor car to get in late one night.
All that effort for an ashtray. It was never recovered.

My current car also suffered. It, too, was stolen twice. The second time I actually heard it being stolen as I lay in my bed.
I had arrived home around 11:00pm and snuggled into my bed 20 minutes later preparing to sleep. I was surprised when I heard a car start up...sounded just like mine with that give-away fan belt screech.
"That's my car!" I thought. "No. That's silly. Must be another car with that same ailment."
"No. That really IS my car!"

I jumped out of bed, pulled on some shoes and went racing downstairs prepared to do battle. In retrospect, that was a bad idea but I didn't stop to think about it at the time. Someone was stealing MY car!

And...my car was gone.
The next day, I saw my upstairs neighbour and told him what had happened.
"Oh no." He said. "I saw your car peel out of the parking lot and thought it was you. I actually had to step out of the way so the car could get by. I couldn't see in!"

The same car also suffered from being rear-ended by a police officer. As it was pouring rain at the time (it was truly torrential) he opted not to get out of his vehicle, and instead I was forced to stand shivering in the rain in order to get his insurance/license information. And then he tried to blame me for stopping too short.
I mentioned that the large van pulling out in front of me rather forced my hand, but he remained unamused and appeared rather annoyed during the whole exchange.

So there you have it.

This may explain why I was able to take the car crushing tree of last week so calmly.
It's not like it's the first time something like that has happened!

Perhaps the Universe, in an effort to make up for it's past indiscretions and to balance things out a little, may consider presenting me with a new car? Preferably in silver? With the initials BMW emblazoned on the grill?
You know, the pendulum has to swing the other way too, sometimes!

20 comments:

Pol* said...

That's funny. I test frove a lovely silver BMW 3 series just last week. My it was LOVELY!

jmb said...

Well at least you have some very good car stories to tell over dinner. They do seem to be escalating however. I wonder what the next one will be.

kimber said...

You and your cars = a series of epic adventures, worthy of countless retelling down through history, becoming legend.

JQ said...

I'm rooting for you...lol.

That was bad.

Hermes said...

Don't rely on the Universe. "Kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight". The Universe will screw you every time.

geewits said...

Wow, you really do have bad luck with cars. Or maybe you have good taste. I've never owned a car that anyone would want.

Silverstar said...

Hi, new here.:)
Wow you do have bad luck with cars, that sucks. I think you've 'earned' that BMW.

Leesa said...

It seems down-right Pollyanna of you to think that the car pendulum will swing your way. Though I am rooting for you.

Were it me, I would investigate public transportation.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

If you had the BMW, you would have no peace of mind cause you'd always be worried for it. So aren't you lucky that you don't have one. ;)

Ian Lidster said...

Bad "carma" indeed, my dear. Maybe God just doesn't want you to have that car. Maybe he wants you to have that silver beemer rag. If you don't want it, I do. That comes up pretty close to my dream car.

Anonymous said...

I wish someone would steal my cars. Maybe I can make repairs to others with the insurance money because they are ALL hobbling! ;)

Jazz said...

Unfortunately the pendulum doesn't have to swing.

Besides, imagine the horrible things that would happen if you had a beemer!

Besides, all those car woes? Perfect blog fodder.

limpy99 said...

I don't think I've ever owned a car worth the effort to steal.

Mz.Elle said...

Wow,bad luck indeed!
Our mirror was ripped off by..??we don't know,and we had our window smashed twice..oh and once somebody drove into the front end of our mustang and rove off..but that's about it. Minor stuff.
I'd drive a Beemer if I could too!
My uncle has a roadster,it's a cool,zippy little car..vrroom!

Big Brother said...

Maybe a beemer isn't such a good idea, just think how fast it would disappear. Mind you, you could always rent a shipping container and back the beemer into it every night, since you have extensive experience doing that already. ;o)

Janice Thomson said...

I just knew there was a reason I don't drive...LOL
Well hopefully this is the last of it Tai. You'll get your beemer and all ends happily ever after...doesn't it? :P

Anonymous said...

Your luck is getting better... it wasn't your car that was crushed this time... now my luck on the other hand....

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Unbelievable! I had to read your previous post twice to believe it!

You do indeed have some great car stories to share.

I am counting on some good car luck for you next time! :)

Jocelyn said...

Why do you wish such a bad future for a perfectly kind BMW that's never hurt anyone in its life? Your "new" car needs to be a very, very bad one--one that needs to be punished.

Mel said...

I'm still pondering the bumper sticker!