Thursday, March 15, 2007

How it looks from here.

I've been travelling up and down Vancouver Island for the last week, visiting friends, hanging out with my mom, hunting ghosts and wolves and taking pictures along the way.
I'd been away from this place for such a long time; I'm really trying to reacquaint myself with every nook and cranny again.

It's so beautiful here.

Here's a collection of pictures from this week...and it may just be a built in excuse as to why I haven't been a diligent blogger as of late!

So, without further ado, may I introduce my much loved mom, and my much loved island.

This is the view from atop the 'Malahat'. The drive from Victoria to head north requires traversing a precariously perched highway. It's a tight cornered and sharp curved road, but the view from the top on a clear day is worth the white knuckles.

And, of course, my dear mom.

And the camillia's are out, spreading their pink blossoms everywhere.


This dark and brooding picture is from the opposite end of the island, closest to Washington State. (In fact, I think you can SEE Washington from there on the horizon. Or maybe that's Japan.)
This picture is the furthest point of Vancouver Island, the very southern tip looking across the gray expanse.



This is a...daffodil? I'd never seen one quite like it. In fact, it's the only one I've seen like it.

So once the Malahat is conquered and you continue driving north, Qualicum Beach is eventually reached. Between the blue and the green and the snow sits a lovely little town where everyone drives under 50km (realllly slow) but it's okay because the view is sublime.





The last photo looking out from Willow's Beach in Victoria. This was taken earlier this month.

In the immortal words of Dorothy, "There's no place like home!"

21 comments:

Big Brother said...

Beautiful pictures Tai. Definitely a place we'll have to visit again.:o)

Outdoorsy Girl said...

LOVE your pics! Everything is so beautiful! I can't wait to make it to that area again for a visit.

geewits said...

Wow, that last picture gave me goosebumps. I could hear seagulls and I felt so relaxed. The picture of your Mom also made me feel cozy. Great pictures, thanks!

Dogbait said...

We visited BC and Victoria sometime back and it certainly is a lovely place.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures - including your mom!

Ian Lidster said...

Thanks for the travelogue. Since I've been going back and forth regularly for the last couple of months, I appreciated it. But, just 'when' did you get that sunny Malahat day?

The picture of your Mom indicates to me that the apple did not fall so far from the tree.

Ian

Janice Thomson said...

Awesome pics Tai...love the view from the Malahat. I used to bike to Willow's Beach every morning before work...what a delight to see it again! and what a beautiful mother you have... such kindness and love of life in her eyes!

Eric said...

Ooh... The water in the last one looks as smooth and clear as glass.

Pol* said...

Very nice pictures my darling!

I HAVE been missing your posts and hope you pick them up again.

kimber said...

~~lovely pictures of a most delightful spot on earth~~

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Great pictures especially your mom's portrait .... very expressive. Agree with others, that last photo is so so so so tranqui...zzzzzzz zzz.

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai

Please keep the beautiful spring pictures coming that I may believe this winter will at some point go away for us. My daffodils, that were just popping up, got crushed under a mountain of snow again last night. You make me jealous with the pics of your majestic island...

Mike said...

I think I can see my house from there :)

Lovely island. I'll have to get out that way sometime...

David Amulet said...

Looks wonderful. Enjooy it while you can!

-- david

Scott said...

Such a beautiful place. I need to get out there one of these days.

Jazz said...

OK. I'm moving. You got flowers while I'm wading in slush here in Montreal. Bleh.

Jarod said...

Astounding. What a beautiful place!

blackcrag said...

Beutiful all over... wish I was there, and not getting fresh snow daily.

fjl said...

Interesting evidence of a lovely life.

Jarod said...

By the way, nice sword balancing on your head! It's hard to make out in my browser, but it looks like a swept hilt guard, possibly a horse-head pommel (?) Appears to be good patina on the blade. Any makers mark?

adman said...

I don't want to sound bitter, but my camellia won't bloom for another two months...and I do live on this Island!!