Tuesday, December 19, 2006

On storms and small rocks.

I went for a drive around the extreme southern coast of Vancouver Island yesterday...it was such a bright and sunny Sunday that I couldn't resist going through a tank of gas.

I stopped at a number of places along the way.
One of the first places I stopped was at Whiffen Spit near the very famous Sooke Harbour House (which I'm to lazy to link to). It's considered a prime international destination (EnRoute voted it the best 'country inn' in the world this year) due in large part to both it's specatular views, as well as it's food offerings.

I continued further along the tip of the Island and went into a lovely meadery along the way. Called the "Tugwell Creek Meadery", it's a lovely 'vinyard' specializing in honey and fruit based wines. They are very good and rather unusual.



I found this gargoyle nestled in the garden at the front gate.





And they had a Medieval declaration on how to care for bees posted by the wine cellar:



"Thou must not be given to surfeiting and drunkenesse."

I think I've got the surfeiting under control, anyway!





But as lovely as this adventure was, it was amazing and scary to see the evidence of the beating the south coast and Vancouver Island took in the aftermath of the recent storms that crashed through here.
It was a mess all along the road; huge trees the size of vehicles smashed down, homes crushed and telephones lines down everywhere.

I saw at least 7 crews working (on a Sunday!) to try to restore power and clear lines. I think it's lucky no one was killed by this storm, by the looks of it.


17 comments:

Spider Girl said...

They clocked winds off Hornby at 177 km/h--freakin' unbelievable.

It sure made an enormous mess, didn't it...I'm very glad that all we suffered were a few broken shrubberies and some downed branches. And I'm very glad the neighbours topped their more unstable trees this last summer!

By the way, "surfeitness"? I'm not quite sure if I have that under control or not...

*ponders a bit*

Sparky said...

Some weather...more in store supposedly.

djn said...

I love that gargoyle. He looks like a friendly one! I have a rather questionable one who watches my garden grow. He seems to be good luck though.

AndyT13 said...

Hey Tai. Just getting caught up and I'm floored by your lack of odd traits. I'm sure you're missing something. Being a woman who doesn't like shopping is pretty strange. I guess I can count that degree of dream detail as weird. That beats me and I have very long and detail dreams regularly. I have many of the habits you described yourself as NOT having LOL. Weird indeed!

Mz.Elle said...

Ugh and brace yourself for another one.
This weather is just incredible,I hope it stops soon.
Thanks for the pictures!

kimber said...

A MEADERY! Must go! Must must must go! Let the drunkenesse begin!

Polyman3 said...

I love gargyles, hoping someday to own one.
Hope your weather is better...

Peace, luv & happiness.

Ian Lidster said...

Thank you for the travelogue. I enjoyed your trip.
Ah yes, the storms. I hate windstorms. I once got caught in the outer fringes of a hurricane in Hawaii, and wind has unnerved me ever since, as there is nothing to be done to control the havoc it wreaks. Scary stuff, and so destructive. I think we've had enough this winter, don't you?

Wishes for calmer days and nights,
Ian

David Amulet said...

Nice gargoyle!!

And Merry Christmas, while I'm here!

-- david

Pol* said...

great pics.... I hope to see you over the holidays!?!?!

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai

I'm just glad to hear that everyone is ok after your big storms. I wouldn't mind winter if it weren't for the wind and I actually like the cold clear nights when it is very still out. Lets hope some stillness comes your way...

fjl said...

Merry Christmas and enjoy the break.

Dinah said...

Beautiful pictures.

Crazy Me said...

Ergh ... I hate weather like that. I hope there is no more major damage your way.

Phil said...

Great pictures Tai! Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Great post. Happy Holidays!

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Great shots! I am so jealous of your new explorations. I need to move somewhere new!

Amazing how destructive the storms are. What a mess!