Wednesday, December 06, 2006

How December 6th looks in Victoria, BC

I walked all over Victoria today, enjoying the sunshine and balmy weather.


It's such a beautiful city, and Victoria loves to play up it's British heritage by keeping a close eye on how buildings downtown are renovated and maintained.
I read in a travel book once that Victoria is more English than England...and even if that isn't true, there is certainly effort made towards that claim!

Victoria's a really visually interesting city; it's range of architecture and style is wide and colourful.
I love these buildings...such bright colours are a boon to downtown design. Quite a lot of the buildings that comprise the core of Victoria are painted cheerfully. (But with complimentary colours of course. Needn't have anything clashing!)




















Of course, here's a Public House, "The Penny Farthing". Doesn't get more English than that, I suspect!

















I put this tree picture in just because the seed pods looked so soft and furry. I don't know what kind of tree it is, but the white fluff stood out so clearly against the black of the branch and the blue of the sky it simply had to be photographed.







Victoria was also a very important Chinese immigration point at the turn of the century and even further back.
It's now a large and vibrant Asian community that remains a valuable part of this city.
The 'Chinatown' stands side by side the beautiful old cathedrals and nestles comfortably amongst the the tartan shops and Irish pubs.
For a small city, Victoria certainly has a variety of cultural influence.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in Victoria for only a week this past spring and it has already become one of my favorite places in the world!

kimber said...

Eee! I know the Penny Farthing! I've been there on a few occasions... the antique bookstore on the same block is one of my favorite shops in Victoria!

(Hey.... wanna go book shopping with me?)

ZooooM said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It appears there are many opportunities for me to get chased by camera hating peeps with baby carriages in Victoria? Your pictures are so fun!

AND ANTIQUE BOOK STORES? Dear me. I've got to go wake up Mr. Zoom just so I can demand we to to Canada soon.....

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful town, very colorful. Ah oh, Watch out for Zooom & her dreaded camera.

I appreciate Chinese culture, but not Maoism. I studied Tai Chi (Young style) for 5 years, and also love Chinese food.
Don't know why I'm telling you this my little flower.

gordaboo said...

How beautiful! Our downtown is nothing but greys, beige's and maybe some burgandy's thrown in. Nothing like these. Of course we're reall small hometown people, but still. I'm jealous!

Mz.Elle said...

Oooh that's beautiful Tai,thank you!

The last time I was in Victoria
was when I was in grade 2.
I went on a class field trip
and have been trying ti make my way back ever since!
Thanks for the visual kick in the pants:)

Anonymous said...

With every post about your town you make me want to see it with my own eyes even more. Why, oh why, does it have to be on the other side of the continent! Damn geography!!

Anonymous said...

Stupid question: where is Victoria, again?

Love the paint job on the buildings. It helps to cheer you up on gloomy winter days!

Anonymous said...

I like it. Very interesting. One day when I make my trip around the continent, I will be sure to stop by.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice little travelogue, Tai! It looks like a terrific city. I guess I'll have to add it on my list.

nicki said...

can i come live with you? it looks soooo pretty there!!

Anonymous said...

Nice looking town - and no multiple feet of snow

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photo tour. Would love to see more.

Anonymous said...

I've never been to Canada before. It is one of the places I intend on seeing if the opportunity presents itself. I like those colored buildings. That's the kinda thing that adds life to this world we live in.

Dinah said...

Beautiful pictures!

fjl said...

The penny farthing looks nice. x

Anonymous said...

I was wandering around Victoria on exactly the same day, and it was a beauty.
Cheers,
Ian