Monday, October 22, 2007

I've been thinking about hummingbirds as of late. In fact, since Ian wrote a piece about birds recently, I can't get them out of my mind!

Yesterday evening, I saw 4 or 5 racing around, sipping what must be the very last bit of nectar just as autumn starts giving way to winter. They must be getting cold, and they must certainly be planning their southern get aways. Now's the time, little birds. Get while the getting is good!

Here's something I know about hummingbirds. You can almost tame them. And you can train them. And they aren't all that shy or timid at all.

The house that I grew up in is an old house. It has a huge kitchen, which is accessed by a windowed-in porch. My dad has always hung out bird feeders for as long as I can remember. Winter had peanut butter and seeds for the birds staying behind, and summer saw bright red sugar water to attract the hummingbirds. We could sit at our kitchen window and watch the little birds whip around in frenzied activity. Sometimes up to 10 or more would be hovering around our feeder, waiting for their opportunity. Sparring and showing off.

My dad decided one day to try an experiment. He would slowly move the feeder through the porch window until it was hanging from the inside kitchen window. Success! After a day or two, the hummingbirds would fly through the open porch window, through the porch and feed at the second, interior window.

Embolden by this success, dad decided to put the feeder on the kitchen table itself. It was snugged up against the window, so it wasn't too much further for them to go. We could sit (very still) at the table and have the hummingbirds feed while we sat there. Amazing!

Not one too let an opportunity like this to pass him by, my dad decided to step the experiment up a notch. Let's have the hummingbirds fly through the two sets of open windows; through the porch across the kitchen to the stove where the new spot for dinner was...wait for it! The FRYING PAN!

Yes, that's right. Placed on the stove, in a frying pan, sat the feeder. And wouldn't you know it, within an hour of the new placement, the little blighters were cheerfully sipping the sweetness from the feeder in the frying pan. They even used the rim as their perch to let dinner settle between sips.

My dad. He's got a lot of time on his hands.

I must then follow this up by saying that, as clever as the little birds are, they would occasionally get lost trying to get back outside. This meant we had to catch them and usher them out. I remember a hummingbird stabbing away at the living room ceiling looking for escape. I've held many hummingbirds now. So small and furiously fluttering.

My Dad would sometimes mark them (with a safe non-toxic food dye, of course) on their chest to see which ones came back.

They all did. Despite the ignominy of the frying pan.

11 comments:

kimber said...

There are still hummingbirds out there? With that chill wind and cold, rainy nights? I shiver, just thinking about the poor little hyper-active things!

Hermes said...

Turn the pan on! Souther fried Hummingbird! Mmmmmmmm.

geewits said...

That's one of the craziest things I've ever heard. And I loved it!

If you want to see some really good pictures of California hummingbirds check out Naomi's blog and go to August 16th. She's here:
http://sitteninthehills64.blogspot.com/

Ian Lidster said...

Priceless story, Tai. I am amazed you still have hummingbirds around. I think they've left the Comox Valley by now, but I did see a robin the other day, so all is not lost.

Janice Thomson said...

I quite enjoyed this wonderful story Tai! Your dad sounds like a very innovative kind of person. We still have hummers here as well. Although they might prefer red they sure seem to like the last of the bright yellow rebeckia.

Unknown said...

It’s been quite a while since I seen—or is that “paid attention to”—hummingbirds. There were quite a few around my uncle’s house as I was growing up. I had forgotten what wonderful creatures they are.

choochoo said...

there are no hummingbirds here. We have crows and stuff. Not the same...

Jazz said...

I love hummers. We have ruby throats at the cottage and come spring, if we weren't quick enough hanging the nectar, they fly around the seed feeder that hangs there in the winter, screaming in fury that their food isn't there. As soon as it's hung they're in there.

Ours only arrive mid may and leave at the lastest in mid september.

Mz.Elle said...

LOL I love your Dad. He sounds like my kind of fellow:)
What a wonderful experience..I'm gonna try that...
This summer I had a hummingbird try to feed off my bright yellow shirt and one flew in front of my face,hovering in the air looking at me for the longest time..it was neat:)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Would have loved to have sat at your kitchen table and watching those blighters. Great story. You've got me a hummin'.

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai

Excellent story, humming birds are a truly magical creature, all of ours are now gone away for the winter... love the picture as well...