Wednesday, October 24, 2007

5x5

Five smells I love ~

1) The heavy, heady smell of rich earth after a summer rain.

2) The smell of wood smoke hanging over the valley of my old hometown. I always try to get back there for that in the fall. So bad for the environment, so delicious for my nose.

3) Oven roasted chicken.

4) Freesia and jasmine. But only the flowers. In my opinion, the perfumes just don't do the flowers justice.

5) Freshly laundered bed sheets. Just the smell of clean. I remember the smell of the sheets as they came off the outside line, but I haven't had that pleasure for such a long time.

Five sights I love ~

1) A new country, waiting to be explored.

2) My mom's smile.

3) A stack of new books, each more interesting looking than the last.

4) Distant blue mountains sparkling with fresh snow in the early morning sun.

5) Whatshisface in a tux.

Five tastes that I love ~

1) A thick, smelly blue cheese topped with a slice of kiwi and paired with a decadent red wine.

2) True French onion soup. Such a simple thing, but the depth of flavour that can be achieved with so few ingredients is amazing.

3) Taco del Mar's burrito's. Don't ask me why, I don't know. But sometimes they are the only thing that will do. It's a shame, because the nearest shop is a 3 hour drive north. Can't do THAT everyday! Which may explain the impact of the craving.

4) A hot cup of tea after a grueling day. Many years ago, after wandering the length and breadth of Ireland trying to find a place to lay our weary heads, Spider Girl and I found a place to stay. The kind man, after hearing our tale of woe, prepared us a cup of tea and some biscuits. That single, simple cup of tea almost had me bursting into tears, it was so welcoming and comforting.

5) A tiny piece of chocolate covered ginger. I'm not really a chocolate fan, but that combination does something for me. And as I have it so rarely (once a year, if that) that it takes on mystical properties!

Five sounds I love ~
1) My favorite sound occurred only in the winter when I was young, and I never hear it anymore. Early in the morning, when you know it had snowed piles, the sound of the snowplow chuffing away on the street outside my window let me know that others were out there, working to make my way safe. That seemed to me, burrowed deep in my warm blankets, the sweetest sound.

2) Sarah Vaughn singing "They Can't Take That Away". You can hear her smile as she sings. It's a sweet sad song. (LOL! It's playing on the radio station right now! Lucky me!)
3) The sound of all my friends in conversation around a delicious dinner.

4) A sax, a cello, a piano and drums. The gentle clap and low murmur of an appreciative audience. Wine glasses clinking. Call it a jazz club.

5) Silence. A deep, complete, make-you-hold-your-breath kind of nothing sound.

Five things I love to touch ~

1) Running my fingers backwards through my old cat Bentley's fur. He's gone now, but I'll never forget.
2) The feel of clean sheets in a newly made bed as I slid into sleep.

3) My steering wheel in the left hand and the stick shift in the right.

4) The keyboard under my fingers as a story spins itself out. It used to be the feeling of my favorite pen and crisp white paper...and that certainly still has it's place, but technology marches on, and I like how the keys feel smooth and firm under my finger tips.

5) My 'snooze' button.

30 comments:

Mz.Elle said...

Ohh Tai,this is lovely.
I'm going to borrow it from you;)

I love chocolate covered ginger too...

kimber said...

oh. the heaven of clean sheets, fresh from the dryer.... mmmmmm.....

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Enjoyed reading your list. I will try this out sometime next week after spending some time pondering about it.

Jazz said...

Maybe I'll come to love the feel of the keyboard, but for the moment, it means work, so not so much.

Hermes said...

You kow there's a Taco Del Mar in Prince George. If you visit us, you would have to spend a day or two there. Enjoy what a city has to offer... then leave it behind for some winter play. Just a thought.

limpy99 said...

smells
-maple sap being boiled
-dry leaves on a fall day
-river with heavy scent of pounding water
-fruit trees in season
-smell of impending snow

sights
-wife
-kids
-sunset/rise from a mountaintop
-good fire
-unexpected animal around a bend

tastes
-wife;)
-white pizza w sausage, eggplant and mushrooms
-hot chocolate
-good beer
-fresh bread

sounds
-kids breathing in sleep
-clack of balls on pool table
-a good rock band in a small venue
-honking geese on migration
-skis wooshing through snowy woods

touch
the obvious answer would be to write "wife" five times, but for the sake of originality
-any kind of ball about to be thrown
-sleeping dog
-old book
-feet on pavement during a good run
-river water on a hot day

Pol* said...

There is some real insight into your being there, Tai.

It's like spending quality time with you, just to read it.

BostonPobble said...

A new country waiting to be explored...yeah. You get it.

E. Rivera said...

Ooh, I like this. I may do it too!!!

Janice Thomson said...

This was delightful to read Tai! From that little bit I would love to meet you in person someday.

Jocelyn said...

Absolutely lovely and riveting. I just like you so much, from the French Onion soup (I'm with you!) to the sounds of friends and sax and all.

Yummy.

Ian Lidster said...

I like all of yours, my friend. yes, I forgot wood smoke and leaf smoke. Wonderfully evocative both. Oh, and try a combo onion and leek soup. I make a killer one. I'll give you a bowl sometime.

Mad Munkey said...

Touch - you don't mention skin especially unclothed skin. Interesting.

Gary said...

Nice list...a good roadmap for a life of the senses - balanced, pleasurable and attainable.

Interesting blog.

geewits said...

That was a good one. My favorite was:

3) The sound of all my friends in conversation around a delicious dinner.

That's such a lovely thought. Did you have as much fun doing this one as I did? This was my favorite meme ever!

Phil said...

Hi Tai!

DESPERADO said...

snooze button.We all love that.

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai

I always loved the sound of a snow plow scraping down the road as well but can't say as I ever thought of it quite like that...

Spider Girl said...

I'll always remember that cup of tea in Ireland, Tai. That was quite possibly the most soul-restoring thing I've ever had.

JQ said...

Those are lovely things...

I was just commenting the other day that one of my favorite smells is a house where the oven has been cooking all day. It reminds me off my Grandmothers house when I was a kid. The smell is really only achievable in the fall when the windows are open and the cool autumn breeze carries that warm scent around the house.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Ahhhhh. All very nice things to awaken the senses. :)

Jo said...

Tai, what a great list...! It's so much fun reading other people's lists. And yes, chocolate covered ginger. I used to love Purdy's until I start making my own. It's the best ever. You'll have to try some sometime.

Cheers,
Josie

Smalltown RN said...

I haven' been to your sight for some time...I think the last time I was here you were planning a vacation and a little black dress...

kimber said...

elus.netYou've been MEME'd, my dear!

Ian Lidster said...

Aha -- a keyboard person, too. Good for you. And that stickshift in your right hand, definitely.

Weary Hag said...

What a comfy, cozy post this is!! I like the look and sound of your entire blog - from design to content. So happy you wandered over for a visit to the Outpost.

Feeling lucky to have a new blog connection ... now THAT can really make ones day.

I hope this post theme is up for grabs.

Weary Hag said...

PS ... the name of your blog is a blast. I can almost hear a crackle when I read it... you know, a short-wave type crackle. Good job!!

choochoo said...

Good list. Rainsmell... Mmmm:)

I also like the smell of new jeans, which can be hard on my wallet at times.

Jay Noel said...

One sight we love: pictures of YOU

tsduff said...

What a nice meme. I browsed my way through it, and then teared up when I got to "my Mom's smile"... nice one. I've been away from here too long - nice to be back.