Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ah, just the look I was booking for!

I have a new book in my possession.

"Why Do We Say It? - The Stories Behind the Words, Expressions and Cliches We Use."

The title is long. The book is...a bit odd.
BUT, it does have some very interesting information to dispense.
For instance:

Why is the center spot of a target called a "bulls-eye"? Aboard sailing ship, a 'bulls-eye' is an oval wooden block without a sheave but with a groove around it for the band and a hole in the center through which a small line may be drawn. A target with a center spot looks something like this block and the block looks something like an actual bull's eye-whence the name.

How did the word "lump" get into the expression "if you don't like it, you can lump it"? * A person's face will often look "lumpy" after crying. So to "lump it" is to sulk or look sulky-and the phrase "like it or lump it" means "like it or sulk".

Why do we say an apologetic person "eats humble pie"? Because of a pun. The entrails of deer ** are called 'umbles' and at one time these 'umbles' were made into a pie which the servants and huntsmen of a lord ate-while the lord and his guests ate the carcass. So a person who humbled himself was said to "eat humble pie".

Okay...one more!

What is the origin of the expression "I've got the willies"? The term comes from "wiffle-woffles." "Wiffle-woffles" are "collie-woffles" or "collie-wobbles." If your stomach is upset, you have the "colic" and it seems to "wobble". ***

This book has some strange reasoning in it, but it IS occasionally informative.

If anyone has any queries of their own, line them up in the comments for me and I'll see if the amazing "book of cliches" has an answer for you. Which I will turn in to my next post!
Because I am lacking in new and exciting post ideas and need help.
Seriously. I need help. ****
















* Hmm. Yes, I do believe I heard my mom say that to me once or twice. It's nice to know that it really DID mean something after all.
(I mean, I could figure out, "You're cruising for a bruising", all by myself.)
** Wow, deer entrails again! ('Cus it it takes GUTS to make this blog what it is.)
*** Uh...no, I can't say I really get this explanation! But it's got to do with GUTS and that's enough for me!
****Have I mentioned needing help?

18 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

This came up recently at a (bad) date I was on: What is the origin of "Minding your Ps & Qs?"

kimber said...

Okay, a few things...

(a) Who knew, there's a restaurant named after little old me? I hope the food is spicy and sassy.

(b) I have never heard the term 'if you don't like it, you can lump it', but I can imagine this coming out of your mom's mouth, so I believe you.

(c) Does it have any information on the term 'for Pete's sake'? Who is Pete? And why do I care about what he thinks?

(d) I love the bookmark and Spider can attest to the fact that it made me laugh out loud. Also, love the blinky thing -- please thank whatshisface. :)

Must go to bed now. Again with deer guts! They seem to be following you around (figuratively, not literally, thank goodness.)

Scott said...

Interesting stuff... i dig books like that.

Scott

Jazz said...

I'm sure I have a few expessions I'd like to know the origins of, but it's too early in the morning to think, much less pull clichés from my brain.

Janice Thomson said...

I have a book like that too Tai and actually found it amusing and fairly informative as I've wondered now and then what some of those strange cliches meant. This one is put out by
Wordsworth Reference Library.

Ian Lidster said...

My dad used to always use the expression colly-wobbles if someone had the trots.
I liked your explanation for lump it, because I've always wondered about that one.
Actually, Tai, it was a really interesting blog, so there.

Ian

Unknown said...

That sounds like a wonderful book. I must get a copy for my library!

Eric said...

I can't think of anything at the moment, but I'll get back to you after a little Google time.

Mz.Elle said...

Oh I love this!
Ok,my mind is blank but when I think up one,I'll come back.

Heather said...

What a great book - it never hurts to sock away trivia fodder :)

Does the expression "Fill your boots" get an explanation? I've always wondered about that one.

geewits said...

I love books like that. I have a few and have always loved etymology. Those were good ones. I'm guessing "For Pete's sake" may have something to do with St. Peter. Or it could just be a substitution for "God."

Big Brother said...

That's a good one Tai. I love that kind of trivia. I have a book at school like that, picked it up in a small café/bookstore in a small village in the Cotswalls last summer. My students just love the reasons behind the expressions. Maybe we should trade expressions and reasons and see if they came up with the same reasons. ;o)

Steven said...

I"ve never heard the expression I've got the wiffles. Maybe I was to busy eating humble pie? ;)

Steve~

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I though I posted but it ain't there. Ah well, here it is again;

Can you look it up in your wonder book, the origin of "It's a load of cod's wallop." which I think means it is a bunch of lies or gibberish?

Am enjoying your blog immensely.

fjl said...

Lovely. I love lost meanings.

Crazy Me said...

I have a dirty mind today. I couldn't stop giggling when I read the word willies!

blackcrag said...

Kim, b-- my mother also said it. c--for Pete's sake refers, I believe, to St. peter of the Pearly Gates, as an alternative to taking the Lord's name in vain. But I my be pulling that from somewhere dark, dank, and dirty.

Squirrel, you're right on the meaning of 'cod's wallop' though I don't have an origin of the phrase for you... though I'll go out on a limb here and say it originated with fishermen...

Tai, my dear, I love this post. But then I love playing with words. Do more please?

Other expressions my mother uses; I can't do .... no more than fly in the air, and when I asked what's for dinner, she used to tell me 'bread and pull it'. Got anything for either of those?

And how about 'that's the way the cookie crrumbles'?

Jo said...

Tai, this is really interesting. I have often wondered about these expressions as well. When I was a kid, whenever my mother wanted to end an argument with anyone, she would say, "Now put that in your pipe and smoke it." It always seemed like a non sequitur to me, but it always ended the conversation.

Josie