Sunday, July 09, 2006

Summer.

Summer has arrived at last in Vancouver.
Shimmering oases of water gleam on the black pavement, and condensation pools at the base of glasses holding a cold liquid heaven.

I love summer.

That idea that murders and crimes of passion increase in the summer astounds me.
Where does one get the energy for such an activity as murder?
How can rage ignite when weekend afternoons seem to slide on and on in an endless sleepy nod?

Drowsing in the slow dripping lassitude of summer's intensity seems to me to encourage the opposite of intense emotion...instead, a carefully composed languor seems more to suit.

Cool beverage within easy grasp, a gentle breeze stirring the hairs on the back of the neck, and a softly swaying hammock in the dappled shade.

How does rage fit in amongst the wafting scent of flowers in full bloom and dragonflies darting with aimless abandon?

I suppose that not everyone shares my adoration of the voluptuousness of summer, but I wish they could.
There might be less crime.

16 comments:

AlieMalie said...

I will trade you my 10 months of summer if you'd like more.

:)
AM

Barry said...

Trade U my summer here for yours...:P

I don't think you had the oven setting on low as an ideal summer.
Today will be 'cool' though - only a high of 110 (43C)

fjl said...

Summer is never nutter free. But that might be just me ;-)

Grant said...

I hate summer. The heat and humidity fill me with rage. >=(

Ian Lidster said...

'Voluptuous' What an apt adjective for summer. I commend you. I too love summer in exactly the same way for the same reasons.

Ian

limpy99 said...

C'mon up on this ladder and scrape paint with me. You'll see the other side of summer.

blackcrag said...

Who are you kidding, Tai? In Vancouver, summer starts in May. All the Van. natives know Vancouver has two seasons- Hot and Wet. But I do like the way you intend to spend Hot, especially the cold drink in easy reach.

Maybe you can find the energy to find a new job?

Pol* said...

sigh, so NICE to hear your musings again. I prefer the "wet" season, but maybe that's just as well that I live here! If you can't get what you want be happy with what you have!!!! The heat is not fun for me, but the rest of the summer fun is nice.

tsduff said...

Summer is my favorite time of year - and the way you describe it enchances its charm. The warm summer sun stirring breezes which ripple the waves of golden California grass bring me serenity.

Jay Noel said...

Weird...at the store, they are beginning to mark summer stuff down and fall stuff is making its way on the racks.

In fact, I saw Halloween crap already.

Feels like summer just started!

Dagoth said...

Hi Tai

We are 13th on the list of the top snowiest cities in the continental U.S. so when summer does finally show up I really enjoy it because I know it's not going to stick around long...

Wendy C. said...

Hey Tai

I love your new photo..do you know how to use that sword?

Tenacious T said...

Ah, beautifully put. And I totally agree. Laze is where it's at.

Josh said...

Down here I think the heat cooks the brain and you just don't know what you are doing. At least that is what I will tell the jury. :D

Tim Rice said...

Summer is a neat time of year thought heat waves can bring on a bit of irritability. Actually, if one can get to the beach, a pool, or a cool breeze, even these heat waves are manageable.

At the same time, mid-ninties or even higher with high humidity can be trying.

Tim Rice said...

Forgot to mention that there is something commanding about that picture you chose. :)