Friday, December 17, 2004

Sharing a favorite author

His name is Simon Winchester.

His books are divine. I'm in love.

'nuff said.

Okay, okay...

Simon Winchester (who can be found at http://www.simonwinchester.com/ ) has written some gorgeous, intelligent books about...well, anything that happens to interest him.

I was introduced to "The Professor and The Madman" some where along the line, (perhaps...divine providence?) and I've become a decided fan of his ability to turn what could be, potentially, a dull piece of informational history, into a real story with living breathing people who matter to me.

People who have in fact, made my life considerably better because they existed. (read the "Professor and the Madman" and you'll see what I mean, not to mention, "The Meaning of Everything.")

Currently I'm delving into "Krakatoa". Wow. I'm on page 29 only, and already I'm inspired to post a 'rah rah rah' to Mr. Winchester mid chapter.

Who knew a book about a volcano explosion over 120 years ago would hold my interest so raptly? Alright, it's true I'M A NERD!!

Nonetheless.

He writes so well that one forgets they are learning, and instead the tale becomes the thing.

Like Carl Sagan and Joseph Campbell before him, Simon Winchester shows a fascination and delight in what he writes about, and for those of you who rejoice in that, I really can't recommend him high enough.

Start with "The Professor and the Madman", that ought to get you hooked!


No comments: