Friday, December 14, 2007

Something for nothing.

The other day I went for dinner with a friend of mine.
She had gone to the washroom when the waitress walked by with a tray of fresh oysters to give to the man sitting behind me.

Leaning back in my chair, I asked him if he knew if they were still serving them. I had thought service had ended at 6:00 and it was just after that.

"They were serving them an hour ago when I ordered them." He replied, sourly.

I laughed, "You would have had a feast faster if you had run down to the beach and picked them yourself!"

"I'll try that next time." He chuckled.

My friend returned to the table and we began discussing dinner options. I mentioned to her that I would have liked some oysters, but they had stopped serving them.

Just as we concluded making our selections, the man behind me walked over with his plate of oysters, 4 left, and presented them to me. He said, "You might as well have these ones, they've brought my entree now and there's no room on my table."

Those oysters were delicious!

My friend laughed at me the rest of the evening. "This kind of thing happens to you all the time, doesn't it."

She's right. It does.

But I figure something has to make up for the tree on the car last month.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Talking with strangers can produce some amazingly delicious results!

Heather said...

Great story Tai. You always have such great stories about strangers and it's part of why I love your blog.

Happy Holidays!!

Hermes said...

They would have tasted even better if you had stolen them! Stolen food is the best. Don't ask me why.

geewits said...

My best friend is like that. I love doing things with her. I flew to North Carolina to see Dave Attell at a comedy club there. And sure enough, after the show, he walked right up to us. Okay, to her. But he was standing by me and I got to talk to him. I'm glad you had the good oysters. I don't eat those anymore.

kimber said...

My dear, if ever anyone offers us oysters while dining together, you can have ALL of them! Vile, nasty beasties, no matter how prettily you dress them up!

(Still, glad you enjoyed them! Nice guy!)

jmb said...

Great story Tai, but I think you are still owed something better for the tree on the car.

choochoo said...

LOL. Although I can't figure out wether or not I think oysters might be icky...

And yes, I'm almost 30 but I still use the word icky. It doesn't make me any less mature. Other stuff makes me immature. So there.

Jocelyn said...

Ah, you have the gift of making strangers adore you!

If you ever decide to start turning tricks, that could come in very handy.

Jazz said...

Wow, I wish stuff like that happened to me. But not with oysters though...

limpy99 said...

We always tell our kids to never take shellfish from strangers.

Ian Lidster said...

Were they raw oysters? I can't really handle raw oysters, but love 'em cooked.

Pol* said...

I love going to public places with you. Always guaranteed to get first in line, no cover, free drinks or some other tasty delights from a stranger that is entranced by your flirty aura!

Mz.Elle said...

Lucky you!
That was a nice gesture:)

Crazy Me said...

Lucky girl ... the last time I talked to a stranger, he had "just run out of gas" and was asking for money at the gas station. Freaking crack head!

BostonPobble said...

Ah...ain't life grand!

tsduff said...

Wow - what kind of karma do you have to let such a fun thing happen to you? those oysters look fabulous :D

BTW, did you ever get a new car?