Thursday, April 05, 2007

But where's MY little black dress?!?

I've been looking for clothes to take travelling as of late, and have felt less than encouraged by the racks in the malls.
In fact, I'm this close to spinning around in the aisles a la fetal position chewing on my own hair.

Are there no reasonable travel clothes(I'm not talking kahki's here, I want casually comfortable, yet sylish clothes) that will be able to see me walk for miles and miles around Italy and then still be comfortable going to a decent restuarant the same evening?

My friends and I are going to be doing a LOT of walking. But I don't necessarily want to look like the stereo-typical backpacker (which is what I am) when I'm out.
Italy is the centre of fashion, the 'bella figura' is very important.

Love my jeans, and they will be accompanying me (even though every single guide book counsels against them, I don't care. I've always taken my jeans with me on all my travels and I've always been glad I did), but I want something OTHER than jeans to take, as well.

Ah yes, the little black dress.

I can't FIND one. Or, more to the point, I can't find one that will look good on me and that I want to pay actual cash money for.

To long. To short. To revealing. To dumpy. Won't look good unless I'm wearing heels. Don't want to wear heels as they are too inconvenient and impractical to pack around for a single 'special' occasion.
Ugh.

Don't the stores sell anything between 'whore' and 'gramma' any more?

We may never know.

21 comments:

Jo said...

Tai, the only place you can get a decent little black dress is Holt Renfrew, but then you'll pay anything from $800 to $5,000 which is completely ridiculous. After Eight in Oakridge Shopping Centre also has some, also very expensive. You could probably find the perfect dress little black dress in Italy.

I'm so jealous! Lucky you!

Josie

Big Brother said...

Tai, I'm sure that almost anything would look good on you. Don't stress it. I'm a great believer of take me as I am cuz I just don't care. I can however understand you dilemma. Good luck in the hunt for the perfect little black dress. Maybe you can find one in Italy since, as you say, it is a center of fashion.

Ian Lidster said...

I can't answer your final question re whore and grandma, but Audrey in Roman Holiday, remember. So, I think some fascimile is a must.
Have a Happy Easter.

Ian

Janice Thomson said...

I agree with Josie...buy it in Italy...they are far more fashionable and far more reasonably priced than over here...or change the color LOL

Pol* said...

Even better, you can STOP looking and it will appear magically just-in-time in Italy! and big brother is right, I am sure everythign looks good on you.
(PS my LBD is actually ivory + black.)

blackcrag said...

I vote for the too revealing one. I don't know why (not having seen any of them), it jst seems to be the right way to go.

This I do know for a fact--the clothes don't make you look good, you make the clothes look good.

BostonPobble said...

Pack a pair of heels and buy one of the LBDs that goes with them. Afterall, as you once counseled me "there is always room for thigh high boots." And heels take up much less space than thigh high boots. ;)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

When I went backpacking for a month in Europe, after a couple of weeks most of my clothes were various shades of black. Does that help?

Anonymous said...

Buying shoes to take to Italy is like buying Lucky to take to Cumberland.

Sparky said...

I second the above comment...I bought a pair of shoes on Via del Corso in Rome about 3 years ago and they are still solid and devastatingly snazzy...Bring crappy ones you can throw in a fountain when they disintegrate from all that walking...

geewits said...

Why do the guidebooks counsel against jeans? Here is a travel clothes site that another blogger used for her Ireland trip:
http://www.travelsmith.com/

And like the others on here, I think you'd look good in anything.

Dan said...

Don't the stores sell anything between 'whore' and 'gramma' any more?

This line is so funny. I guess you have to pick one or the other. So ... which is it? LOL! :)

Jazz said...

Nope. Nothing at all between whore and grandma. Nothing.

*sigh*

Anonymous said...

You will look great no matter what you wear. Fashion is so fickle, anywyay. Don't reward it for being so. ;)

Anonymous said...

You'll, uh....have to forgive yourself :-)

Jay Noel said...

I'm fashionally challenged...so I'm of no help. I hope you take a billion pictures on your trip!

Smalltown RN said...

Is there such a thing as practicle little black dress? I don't recall seeing many hikers wearing them...I think I missed that trip.

I echo Josie....buy one when you are in Italy and a pair of shoes....think of it as your little gift to yourself...and when you come back you will always have the dress and the shoes to remind you of the wonderful time you had!

fjl said...

Ah there's nothing like the little black number x

Mathieu said...

Yep, we may never know.

Dinah said...

I wish that whenever people entered Italy, they would start looking like Audrey Hepburn. THat is some technology I could get behind.

tsduff said...

It seems that everybody and his/her brother is going to Italy this year... yikes, even my boss will be there at the same time I am... (end of May, beginning of June) I've been told don't bring tennis shoes - makes you stand out as a tourist... as well as the jeans. We will be doing lots of walking too along the Cinque Terre - looking forward to it. Have fun - Ciao :-)